Friday, August 29, 2014

Whale Watching in Auke Bay



Most of the whale watching boat captains
cooperate with each other.
They're constantly on the radios 
telling each other where the whales
are feeding, and generally being
good sports and being watchful
of their responsibility to their passengers
and the safety of the whales.


Except for the captain of this tour boat.


He seemed to be purposely motoring in
way too close to the whales.


Our captain yelled at him,
telling him that he was jeopardizing
everyone elses livelihoods by 
harassing the whales.
He also told him that the other boat
captains were in agreement that
this dude was beyond pushing
the limits.
  

We couldn't hear what the other captain said,
but he did seem to back off.
Our captain said he was sorry for that
to happen, but he was very passionate
about the safety of the whales.


Anyway,
what to see some diving tail action?








We watched that over and over,
and it was thrilling to see
each and every time.
 

One of the other tour boats.



The boat turned,
and we were facing into the sun.
But it made for interesting bird silhouettes.


I also liked how the mist
showed against the darker background.


More tail shots.





Auke Bay is one of the most beautiful
places I've ever been.




This was such a wonderful evening.
I just loved it.




We just couldn't believe what we were seeing,
 and couldn't stop grinning.


You know what though?

It got even better.

5 comments:

  1. Was this in Juneau?? That's where we went whale watching..Didn't see quite that many..Always a thrill..Great pictures..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Juneau. There were 13 or 14 humpbacks in this group as counted by our tour guides..

      Delete
  2. HA.. so true..downsizing we all need.....I need much more then I've already done (:)
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend !!
    hugs,Patty

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.