Pinch me, it all felt surreal,
and unbelieveable that we were actually
there and in Alaska.
Looking back at the gangway.
Even though we were on the aft
end of the ship, it turned out to
be a great location even if we did
have a lot of extra walking to get anywhere.
I don't know what's behind the grill
window, but I'm thinking it's there
to vent engine exhaust maybe.
That's the Westerdam at anchor behind us.
There were several of these cool
rain gages along the pier railing.
We passed by a commercial fish processing
plant on our way off the pier.
We could see the salmon dropping from
a conveyor belt into a spiral slide that
sent them inside to the building.
I loved watching what was going on
on the pier.
Soon enough we were going to
be on the Tramway heading up Mt. Roberts.
It was a bit of relief to see that the cables
were thicker than they seemed from further away.
We had enough time to do a little
bit of exploring before our appointed
gathering time to ride the tramway
together with our friends.
There were lots of jewelry store
in town that happen to belong to the
cruise lines.... hmmm.
Good thing I'm not too interested in jewelry.
Artwork from
Juneau's native inhabitants the Tlingits,
was evident everywhere in town
on totems, buildings, and signs.
Tours were offered for whale watching,
glacier visits, and everything else.
Juneau has too much to offer for the
limited time we were to be in town.
We didn't go see Mendenhall Glacier,
so I guess we'll have to visit Juneau
again. (smile)
We had two excursions planned,
plus a walk to the post office which
turned out to be too far away with the
time constraints we had.
Can you imagine?
It's yours, on sale for $69.
After finding an expensive bottle of water,
it was time to head up the mountain.
The wait in line with our friends
went quickly.
And we're off,
up in the air.
It's amazing how small Juneau is
for being Alaska's state capital.
The main road through town was on
the waterfront in the beginning.
The land was expanded between the
main road and Gastineau Channel
with gold mine tailings
from the mountainside tunnels.
I was surprised that
it was standing room only inside
the tramway cars.
We were packed in
with little room for photography.
Luckily I got close to a window.
The Golden Princess is looking a bit
small from way up here.
Passengers on the Westerdam
had to use tenders to get to Juneau.
That would have been a fun experience,
but I'm glad we got to walk off.
They had a birds eye view of the float planes
landing beside them.
Another plane skimming by.
Looking at Gastineau Channel
through the tramway windows.
We made it to the top
of Mt. Roberts.
.jpg)


Juneau is beautiful....can you imagine all the history there? That little town looks like a place that needs more exploring-like maybe 2 weeks worth to me. I love all those mountains. No wonder Sarah Palin likes Alaska....it is most beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteLouise
We had tenders in Sitka really wasn't worth it We did not have to use tenders in Juno which was my favorite court. We were there overnight and went whale watching. Once again I love seeing your pictures they bring back a lot of memories. We had Murray as you do as far as the bruising part. We had a land leg on ours and we ended in Anchorage.
ReplyDeleteJeanu is the second largest city in the United States. Almost as big as Delaware and Rhode Island combined.
ReplyDelete