Monday, October 1, 2012

Exploring Other Roads On The Coast


Trinidad is a small coastal town,
so you would think that
we'd practically seen it all.
Especially since we've been
going there on vacations together
since 1975...
For me personally, 
it's been a vacation destination 
since I was a kid.



We finally drove the road
past Salty's bait and surf shop,
and even past the casino. 
Drive further south 
along the road
that hugs the cliffs above
 the  north coast and you'll
come upon a section that I kind of think
is kept secret for a locals only
view of the coastline.


Even Mother Nature is in
on the ruse, sending storms
to wash the road away down 
the cliffs. 
The road was closed at a certain
section in June when the girlfriends
and I were over to the coast.


Most of the road is one way,
with wide spots interspersed to
get past traffic heading in the 
opposite direction.



The road takes you to Luffenholtz Beach,
the "Camel Head" scenic spot,
and Moonstone Beach.
None of which we've seen before.


Off shore rocks are part of the 
CA Coastal National Monument.



I couldn't believe how closely
this house was tucked in against
the rock on this piece of coastal 
property.  I was too busy looking 
at the house to notice whether or not
it had an ocean view.
I bet it did.



After leaving Trinidad,
we headed north towards Brookings.
Along the highway across from
the Humboldt Lagoons area 
there's a beach that seems to go on for miles.
I think it's called
Big Lagoon County Park.


 They used to allow RV'ers 
and campers to park off the highway
and spend the night right on the coast.
That practice stopped and it's just
a day use area now.


We found the beach
completely deserted, 
so Liberty thoroughly enjoyed
some off leash time chasing
after sticks, the ocean waves,
and a ball that some poor dog
left behind. 


If you're ever need a break along the highway,
you should stop at Trees of Mystery.
Of course the walking tour 
through the trees is very nice. 
They've included a sky tram
since the last time we actually 
took the tour.

It would be fun 
to take the grand kids through.
But... It's something you only need
to do a couple of times in your life time.

  You don't have to pay to see the 
Redwoods along Highway 101.
They're especially gorgeous
along the Avenue of the Giants
further south along the highway.



Say hi to Paul Bunyan
and his blue ox Babe.
~~~
What I do think you should stop for
is the Native American Indian museum
that's inside along with the gift shop
both of which are free of admission charges.

The last time we stopped in,
we were very impressed with the 
collection of artifacts shown.









4 comments:

  1. Love your new header..The scenery along the coast has always been my favorite..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your header is lovely! What a great road trip, I love the picture of Liberty running on the beach, man I bet that felt good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow what a fun trip (:)
    You actually got some of our smoke.. hummm sorry dear..LOL
    ... love the new banner -- a cart of pumpkins is so fun !~!
    Hugs..p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the other ones that replied. I can't believe how big your dog is already. I know I have seen Paul Bunyan and the Ox - there has to be more than one set. I can't remember where I saw them though.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.