Monday, October 22, 2012

Yeah!!! Our First Rain of the Season!

 Ooh look,
a bit of autumn color here at home.
 We don't have spectacular colors
like some locations elsewhere...
I'll try not to be too jealous.


 In a sea of green  oak leaves,
which rapidly turn (boring) brown, 
I did find a touch of yellow.
I'll take it.


This zinnia flower was this bright
and vivid in person yesterday.
It's probably beaten down
by the rain and hail today.


Chrysanthemums, of course
are a welcome fall bloom.


Hey, a bit of autumn red
on the crepe myrtle.



 Yesterday's sunset. 


The last chore of the weekend was to
 get the pontoon tent enclosure panels
up on the boat.
 (Lake level 82.74' from the crest.)
 I wouldn't have gone anywhere
this weekend if it weren't for helping
out with the boat.
  
Rick spent a lot of time 
this weekend  taking care of outdoor
chores and getting ready for our first
rain of the season. 

The deck project is almost finished.
At least it's waterproof.
We still have to paint the rails 
and the stairway up to the deck.
We'll have plenty of dry sunny days
to take care of that. 
Maybe not this week, but soon.

Liberty is experiencing her first
rain ~ thunder ~ lightning ~ hail
storm today.

She doesn't care for the thunder
(an understatement)
and was sure she wanted to stay
on the deck rather than go potty
up the hill first thing this morning.

She got over it.
Rain + red soil + Liberty's paws
equal one big mess on
the deck and unfortunately 
in the house before I could catch her
with a towel.

We've recently watched a couple 
of movies that I thought were good.

'The Magic of Belle Isle'
with Morgan Freeman.
We like his movies.  
Both movies are available for rent
from Redbox.  We'd never heard
of this movie. Here's a synopsis:
A famous Western novelist's struggle with alcoholism has sapped his passion for writing. He decides to take a lakeside cabin for the summer in picturesque Belle Isle, and befriends the family next door-an attractive single mom and her young daughters-who help him find inspiration again.
Rated PG by the Motion Picture Association of America for mild thematic elements and language including some suggestive comments.


'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'
I wanted to see this one when it was
at the theater, but we missed our chance.
A group of British retirees decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.
Rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Association of America for sexual content and language.


Movie synopsis source:
Redbox.com 

I'm going to add one more movie
that we liked.
'Sarah's Key'
It is a very sad movie about the holocaust.

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl, is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door-to-door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard - their secret hiding place - and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released. Sixty-seven years later: Sarah's story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup. In her research, Julia stumbles onto a trail of secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own romantic future.
Rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Association of America for thematic material including disturbing situations involving the Holocaust.


The movie is French  with English subtitles.
  
I think it's best to read the book first 
which we did. 
All of these movies are rentals now
and not in the theaters.
Have you watched any good movies lately?








4 comments:

  1. Oh those movies sound good..love zinnias (:)
    Hugs..patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photo's of fall colors.

    I actually took a couple of hours and watched a movie on the Hallmark channel yesterday (all the while feeling like I should have been busy making stuff for the bazaar). Maybe after Nov. 10 I will be able to read some books and watch some movies.

    You are so wise about the blocks. The 'believe' blocks and the 'harvest' blocks were in fact reversible. I know people always appreciate getting two holidays in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers! I've not heard of a single one of those movies, however I really like Morgan Freeman.
    The leaves here are stunning this year. I heard its due to our summer drought. Many are beginning
    to fall to the ground. I just heard yesterday that we may have a few snow flakes on Halloween.. so not ready for that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we had a pretty good down pour yesterday. Man it rained all day long! Made me want to stay home and nest but duty calls and it was off to work er play.....what ever you call hanging with preschoolers! HA! We have a great group this year, to say the least - knock on wood- they've been pretty easy.

    Haven't heard of those movies but I"m always up for a good one! Thanks for the review! Your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.