The camera shop downtown,
decided that my camera lens
"might" be in repairable condition.
The low end of the estimate for
repairs was just $60 less than a
brand new lens would cost...
Add to that a two week wait for
shipping and repair time...
If they can't fix it,
we still would owe $30 for
their time and shipping charges.
Hmm, what to do...
post card from six year old Conner.
Rick brought home a new lens.
While I was home
(sniffling and coughing)
I played around with the
long range lens trying to see
if I could get some close up shots.
It didn't do too badly,
except for standing back far enough
to get things in focus and holding
the camera as steady as I could.
Most of those photos came out blurred.
1st. photo: Our mantel behind the wood
stove with some fall color added.
I like having a strand of white lights behind
the glass hurricane lamps. I love the
warm glow from the lights.
2nd photo: Conner sent me this postcard,
that I got in yesterday's mail.
Our daughter's family is on their way home
from Disneyland today.
I propped that postcard up against
the stovepipe and hid my address with
a bit of the fake fall foliage stolen from
the mantel behind.
~~~
I made the best pot of plain
chicken soup today...
Usually I overdo it with ingredients,
but today I just wanted steamy
broth-y soup and accomplished just that.
I'm adding my recipe/procedure
here so that I can replicate it in the future.
Chicken Soup for Sick Day's
Into a large stock pot
add:
2 quarts organic chicken broth,
3 chicken thighs straight from the freezer
a bundle of parsley from the garden.
Leave the stems attached to the parsley.
Bring to a boil,
separate thighs when they're thawed enough.
Simmer for an hour or so.
Fish out the old parsley
and the thighs.
Throw away the parsley
and let the chicken cool
enough to handle.
Meanwhile to the stock pot,
Add three chopped carrots,
1 1/2 stalks of celery, chopped
1/2 an onion, chopped
Simmer while
the chicken get's skinned
and chopped into bite sized pieces.
Add a heaping half cup of
Orzo pasta and cook
according to the time
on the package.
Return chicken to the pot,
and head back out to the
garden for a fresh handful of parsley.
This time chop the parsley without the stems.
When the pasta is done
and the chicken is hot again,
throw in the fresh chopped
parsley and your done.
You don't want to cook the
parsley any further.
It adds a fresh bright taste to the soup.
I love having a parsley
(and basil) patch out in the garden.
Parsley and onions and chicken broth
have to be good for colds right?


I love soups, and this chicken soup recipe sounds wonderful! What a perfect thing on a chilly fall day! I made a pot of tomato soup tonight. :) You have a lovely blog here!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Leslie
Thank you Leslie. It's very nice of you to stop by.
DeleteThat was so sweet of Rick to bring home a new lens. He knows you are a great photographer! I love soups too - but never "get around to making them".
ReplyDeleteYou should jump right on the soup making band wagon. Soups are wonderful in that they use up what you have in the fridge.
DeleteMmm.. soup sounds wonderful on a chilly day. Yeah, a new lens was likely the best choice. You take fantastic pictures Patricia.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see some with your new lens.
Hope you're soon better..Colds are not fun!!..Enjoy your new lens...
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to seeing pictures taken with your new lens, you take lovely photo's.
ReplyDeleteNothing like chicken soup to heal the aling body. I swear it has medicinal properties in it and yours sounds fabulous.