Sunday, June 26, 2011

French Toast ~~


One of these eggs
is not like the others ~~  



Of course ~ you can tell which
one is store bought and which ones
are from  a friends home grown chicks.

Now the eggs above were not the ones
I used to make this batch of French Toast.

Nope, this griddle full was 
Sunday's breakfast
last weekend when our grandson was here.





I didn't take a photo
of the French Toast I made using the above
eggs.   That photo would have shown
a much richer yellow/orange colored
French Toast.   I was We were in too much
of a hurry to eat, to grab the camera.
Sometimes it just plain feels weird
to take photos of your food especially
when the husband is home.

Anyway, I wanted to
share my own recipe
for making  French Toast. 

This is not
a regular recipe though,
because for this I don't really measure.

OK, here goes ~

 French Toast

Slice some home made white bread,
or a firm dense bread of your choosing.


I haven't baked bread in
quite awhile though. So ~~~

 I like Pugliese French bread
which is what I used this time. 

Crack one egg for every two
slices of bread you plan to use,
 and perhaps one extra just in case it's needed. 
 I crack these into a pie pan.

Then add milk. Just a glug or so.
Told ya this wasn't going to be
 a regular ole recipe.

Add a little bit of sugar (1 tsp.) 
 and a couple
shakes from the salt shaker.

Then add some vanilla.
I don't measure, but just perhaps
1/2  teaspoon.



 Inhale the scent of
vanilla, while watching the pretty
swirls it's making in the unmixed
egg/milk/salt/sugar combo.

Now, act like you are
shaking a moderate amount of
pepper  on your mixture,
Only it's mace you are shaking on.


 It's really smelling good now.

Ground Mace is
the outer covering of nutmeg.
If you haven't tried it, you should.

Now whisk everything together
in the pie pan. 
Thoroughly soak your bread and
cook the slices on a buttered skillet/griddle
(medium heat)until done. 
 Make sure it's firm/done.
 I wouldn't want you to tuck into
 some undone egg goo.

Now serve with butter and
powdered sugar, or real maple syrup.

For more info on Ground Mace
click

McCormick is the site that I took the
vanilla and ground mace photos from.

What's in your French Toast?


2 comments:

  1. I've never used Mace before. Your french toast sounds great. My hub's has been working from home on Saturday mornings lately. Technology is a wonderful ting! For 10+ years he has been working at the office on Sat. until 11 am..., so I am not used to making him Saturday morning breakfast. This sounds like a good option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sure did look good indeed. I too haven't used Mace before.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.