Friday, September 19, 2014

Saxman Native Village ~~ Ketchikan, Alaska.



On our way to Saxman Village.



The clouds are breaking up,
and the sun is shining through.


Just another beautiful day in Alaska.


I thought this house sign was interesting,


and so are the street names.


Old totems are left to return to the earth.



Our tour guide/shuttle driver
telling us a bit about the carving of the totems.



"Only some  sections of the totem 
pole were painted.  It's because
the process to create paint was
so labor intensive.  Females would
chew and then spit out salmon eggs, 
which served as a base,
 not unlike oil-based paint.
When mixed with colored powders,
paint was created. 


The four main
colors you will see are 
black from charcoal,
red from iron, turquoise from copper 
oxide and white from shells."
(Information source ~Princess Cruise)



Our tour didn't include access
to be inside the carving house,
so we can only peek into the windows.








" Don't feel bad if someone
tells you you're the
'low man on the totem pole.'
Often, the most important
figure can be found at the base,
not on top as many believe."
Source:  Princess C. again.










Saxman's Beaver Clan
tribal house, reported to be the 
largest in the world.



One more peek into the workshop
from the other side.
We were on our way back to our 
shuttle bus.


I thought this bus was cute,
but it wasn't ours. 
We had a plain white shuttle bus,
but the windows were large
and perfect for watching the 
beautiful scenery as we passed by.


1 comment:

  1. I don't remember The shuttlebus Ketchikan. I remember the totem pole. I think that's all there was in that little town.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.