Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Margerie Glacier


This is sort of an odd photo to start with,
but it was the first chunk of ice in the water
that we saw from the ship.
It's that little tiny thing in the center of the photo.


Here's some more.


The one and only sea otter I spotted.


Trading places with the other cruise ship.
They had gone to the Margerie Glacier before us.


Bits of glacier ice floating by.


Margerie Glacier.
The Margerie Glacier is about 
one mile wide, with an ice face
 that is about 250 feet high
 above the waterline,
 and a base about 100 feet below sea level.



Ice burg at the side. 


Waterfall runoff from the glacier.
Clouds are hanging low.  



Wow!
Can you believe it?











One of the Glacier Bay National Park Rangers
is onboard to provide commentary 
about the park and the glaciers.
The rangers were picked up at the entrance
to Glacier Bay about 6 that morning.
There were also a couple manning
a  display booth and doing talks
on the top deck.
There were souvenirs for sale as well. 
The rangers were later disembarked at
2:30 when we left  the park.







We were allowed to stay in front of the 
Glacier for an hour and 15 minutes.
The ship stops with it's port side facing
the glacier and then slowly turns around
in the bay to let the starboard side
balcony guests  to get
their up close views of the glacier.
It's good to be up on the top deck
to see everything from both sides.


It was spectacular.
There are no words 
that would suffice to say
how beautiful it was.


All of these photos are straight from
the camera.  There's no touch ups
of any kind except to straighten the photos
in the ones that show the waterline.
 I've learned through this series
of photo's from the cruise that
I must hold the camera
 at a crooked angle 95% of the time.
It's something I'm going to have to 
consciously work on correcting.

4 comments:

  1. Why 95 degrees?? or percent??? Yup..They're still blue..I forget why..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to figure it out. But most of my photos do come out crooked and it's especially noticeable with lake and ocean photos. I'll have to see what's up with that when I use the camera again.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Patricia.......never saw photos of the glaciers like that before. What ever angle you were holding your camera was certainly fine....I did not see any crookedness. Still enjoying your trip here...I feel like I have been to Alaska (kinda)
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW again, words can't express...picture is worth a thousand words

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.