Thursday, September 11, 2014

Glacier Bay ~ Margerie Glacier and Calving


Glacier Bay was billed as the 
highlight of our trip, and it almost was.
 I have to show you some more of 
Margerie Glacier though, because 
it was just so beautiful. 

My favorite part of the cruise though,
was the Evening Whale Quest
out of Juneau. 


We came back down to our balcony
for an even better view of the glaciers
as we were lower and closer to the water.


I love the reflection on the water.


From the Glacier Bay Rangers' 
Top Ten Questions
~~~
Why does the ice look blue?

When light hits highly compacted
glacier ice, long wavelength colors 
(reds) are absorbed, while short wavelength
colors (blues) reflect
 back through the ice to your eyes.  

~~~

Scroll down through the next
fourteen photos to watch
a small section of glacier calving.
It's in the center of the photo
next to the bay water.
















We saw calving several times
and from our balcony  we could hear
the ice cracking.

Yes, I did have to straighten each 
and everyone of these photos.
~~~


This photo wasn't straightened
to show you what most of the photos
look like without a bit of tweaking.

Our balcony neighbors are out to enjoy 
the views as well.  This was the only
time I saw more than a few other people
out there on their balconies with me.


It was cold, but a sweatshirt underneath
a windbreaker, along with a hat 
and gloves, was enough to cut the chill. 
We didn't need to take our winter coats.

I eventually found the walkway
where you could go upstairs over
the bridge.  It was closed off when 
I found it though so I think it was 
only open while we were stopped
at the glaciers.



The glacier was so wide,
that you could only get parts of it
in a photo.
Rick did do a panorama shot 
from his tablet camera but I'm 
unsure if I could get it to the blog
from there or not.




The next five photos
are another series of calving.






Most of the time 
you can hear the cracking just
before the ice starts hitting the water.


It was time to turn the ship around.
The thrusters stirred up some glacial silt.


More calving and that gorgeous blue.




You can see a bit of the glacier 
further up the mountains
through that break in the clouds.


Next stop
Lamplugh Glacier.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting Patricia. You did a very good job getting that series of pictures of the calving. That blue sure is beautiful. Not really understanding the long and short wavelengths of the red and blue reflecting back to our eyes....but it sounds interesting. Do our eyes ever see the red reflections? Is that an optical illusion? Interesting.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow those are just spectacular glaciers !!
    Yes my little green table/stand will work like you say ..in many places around the house ..
    & green is a good neutral..
    hugs..P

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.