Friday, September 5, 2014

A Little Too Close For Comfort.


Yesterday while at Seniors
I got the word that a fire had started
in the small community that I live in.
With alert notices from the local newspaper
flashing on our phones, both Rick (at work) 
and I knew that the fire was close but
not that close.
At first I was comfortable knowing that 
it wasn't too close.
But it was very windy, 
and the wind was blowing in our direction.
Then we (at Seniors) heard that the fire
had crossed the freeway onto our side.

Then we heard that it was blowing
embers ahead of the fire starting
spot fires. 

I know from past experience that
when they evacuate neighborhoods
you are not allowed back in.

So that's when I decided to come home 
so that at least I would be able 
to get Liberty, paperwork, clothes 
and photos out ... just in case.

Meanwhile Rick was trying to get
ahold of me to find out what was 
happening.  He was on his way
home as well.
The freeway was blocked
and we both had to take the back roads 
to get home.

When I got home it was smoky.
Fire retardant planes, and helicopters
were circling overhead.

Dang we've been through this
before and it's no fun.
I worked at gathering stuff to take
while keeping an eye on the planes,
an ear to the radio, the house phone
and the cell phone in my pockets.

After some anxious time,
it was reported that the fire was
30% contained, and later 50%.
An ember did start a spot fire just
down the hill from us, but it was 
quickly put out.  Thank goodness.
Everything turned out fine.
The fire was stopped at 16 acres
and it was started in a transient camp.
That's the second camp fire that's started
a wild fire in just a couple of days.
It's dry as a bone here 
as we are in an extreme drought.

There are wildfires in the mountains
northwest of us that have been filling
the valley with smoke off and on
 for several days depending on the wind 
directions.
Those fires were caused by lightning strikes.
Other fires have been contained,
but there's one very stubborn fire that
just keeps growing.

It has been one extra long fire
season with no end in sight.
Not until the rains come...







2 comments:

It is so nice to hear from you.