Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Glacier Bay, July 23, 2014



Another beautiful morning.


We're on our way into Glacier Bay.
The first photos of the morning were 
taken just after 5AM.
The sunrise was at 4:38 that morning,
but I slept in... ha.


The weather forecast:
Partly cloudy with showers.


The hand rails were wet from the rain
we got  during the night.




The color of the water was beautiful,
even if the photo turned out a bit blurry.


They gave us a map and a guide
for the day to help us follow along 
on where we were at and what we were 
looking at.

  
Just two cruise ships are allowed inside
Glacier Bay on each day.
We took turns at the glaciers and switched
places with each other at the two glaciers
that we stopped at.




We were lucky
 that we weren't getting rain. 




This photo is from the starboard side
of the ship.  


I took a walk along the promenade 
deck on my way to the Piazza 
for coffee to take back to our room.


Here's the morning offerings in
the bakery section of the International Cafe.


Today's special:
Hot Chocolate which you could also order
without the alcohol. 
 It was available the rest of the day, 
either at the IC or from carts that they
would roll around the open decks and 
along the promenade deck.
This would have been the
perfect cold  day for hot chocolate, 
but we didn't try it.  Shoot.
Maybe next time.....if we get to 
go again.  Would love to go again
with a land trip to Denali included.



The other case was just as tempting,
and I resisted as I waited in line for our coffees.


On Glacier Bay day, they do not use
disposable cups, straws, napkins, or
anything that could accidentally be blown
overboard.  Our coffee came in mugs
that I had to carefully carry back up to our room.
Room service doesn't start serving until 
6:00 and some mornings that seems too
long to wait. We aren't allowed to have 
coffee makers or water heaters in our cabins. 

The coffee from the IC is fresh brewed.
The coffee served in the buffet, and with
room service is made from a coffee syrup
concentrate.  So you might understand
why the walk to the IC first thing in the 
morning is desirable.



Here's why I could resist those pastries
down in the IC.
We had ordered breakfast via room service
the night before.
Under the dome, there's a couple of egg/muffin
sandwiches.  Rick wanted cereal as well.
The orange juice is only available 'free' at 
breakfast.  It's not available the rest of the day
unless you pay extra.  
What's nice, is that you can store
the juice in your room refrigerator 
and save it for later in the day.  


After breakfast we took 
a walk back to the piazza.
I think we were 
trying to catch up with our friends.
 We could usually find them there
in the piazza or up on the deck by the pools.



Looking down into the piazza.



We didn't find them, 
but it was time to get outside
to see the glaciers.



We passed Lamplugh glacier
on our way to Margerie Glacier.
We'd come back to Lamplugh later.


The cloud deck hung low over over the
mountains and the bay. 


The water color was spectacular.


Everything was spectacular.
Especially when we got to Margerie.
Oh my goodness, 
I just spent an hour looking at those
photos... lost in the blue color
and can't believe that we were actually there.
Sorry to be gushing,
but it was beautiful.


4 comments:

  1. I'd gush too, at seeing the beauty and majestic creation that only God can make.......
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise for hanging in here with me. Wait till you see tomorrow's photos.

      Delete
  2. I remember Glacier Bay being very blue...The Glaciers seemed blue...Lovely pictures, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you are doing this on your blog!!! Beautiful beautiful beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.