Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Quick Visit to Fort Bragg





I love old towns
with character
and independent
shop owners who carry 
unusual merchandise to
explore.



 Wouldn't you like to stop in
at this shop?



What a cool display window.
But what I really thought
was special ~~~  was the elderly
gentleman and his wife.
Obviously in LOVE!


I love the detail
in old building trim,



and the new building's
style echoing the older church.



More of that detailed trim I love.


For a bit of Fort Bragg's history:




I wonder what happened
to this part of the Skunk Train.

In the photo below:
This was part of an Art's Council
of Mendocino County  project
to embellish a rail car of the Skunk Train.


  



The Skunk Train hauled lumber
between Willits and Fort Bragg,
in the 1900's and into the early 2000's.
It was instrumental in
transporting lumber for the
rebuilding of San Francisco
after the great earthquake in 1906.








Now for another cool kind of
California character.



He's  busy with his laptop,
and I just had to take a quick photo.


His long black locks, chains,
black leather jacket, do-rag,
black jeans with lime green stitching,
 and the huge headphones were intriging.

But did you also happen to notice
THE KNIFE?

His back pack also had
a suprise as he exited.
Attached to the his pack,
a WWII gas mask.

This was at the
Laurel Deli and Desserts shop  
where
'Unattended children will be given
an expresso and a free puppy.'

 OK then,

Who owns this car?





I am assuming he's a retired
military guy.  This was the first
photo I took through the car window
just as we pulled up to refuel
at the gas station on base.
He was on his way inside the
store, so I took advantage of
his exit to take several more photos.

You should have heard his
minute long musical horn salute as he
left the station.  He definitely
had everyones attention.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fun day there! Great photos. I too love visiting "old towns" - there are many here in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your vacation photo's. At first I thought you were talking about Ft. Bragg in the Carolina's. Your camera takes great photo's. Good photographer to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole town and characters look like a movie set!...I could spend a day or two...or maybe five there and super enjoy myself!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.