Friday, July 29, 2011

Northern CA Coast Road Trip



Ah, the blue Pacific just north of Ft.Bragg.
We were enjoying the sunny and blue
skies here, because  further up
the northern coast,
it was clouding up and turning grey,
not just the sky, but the ocean as well.





Several of the roadside
attractions along highway 101
   have been around for a long time.


   Heading to the
coast for a break from the heat in  
 is on just about everyone's summer
time vacation schedule.


Confusion Hill doesn't look
much different than when I was a kid. 



Elbow Tree,
1200 years old.

Top:


Middle:


Bottom:



Now on to Ferndale, CA.


The economy has taken it's toll.
There's parking available
at the height of the tourist season.
We found several empty
storefronts.  Some of our favorite
stores are no longer in business.


Once we were visiting here
while they were filming the movie
'Outbreak', with Dustin Hoffman.
It was so much fun, watching  everyone
working.  They cleared the streets
while they were filming.  The tourists
and locals ducked into the shops 
while the filming was happening
out in the street.  Then a loud siren
would give the all clear, and 
everyone would file outside into 
the street to gawk, I mean act normal
around the film crew.
It was memorable.

Ferndale was also used
 for filming another movie 
 'The Majestic' with Jim Carry.

 We were there while
that was being filmed also. 
Just a lucky coincidence.
  The town was filled with cars
from the 1950's
along with cast members in period clothing.
I loved that we were on vacation visiting
the North State at just the right time to
see the movie magic happening.


The entire town of Ferndale
is California's Historical Landmark No. 883.
It's one of our favorite stops when we're
over on the coast.   





4 comments:

  1. What a quaint little town Ferndale is.

    Love the picture of the house with the wind bent tree next to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love small towns. Its sad when the economy hurts them. Hopefully they will bounce back someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The economy has hurt our little towns also. It is quite sad. But once again, great pictures. I sure woul love to see the coast. I can still remember when you, I and the other girl's name went to Yreka and the racoons ate our food. Some of the guys couldn't believe I was from California and that was the first time I saw the ocean...ahhhh memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anita, Yes of course I remember our trip to Patrick's Point State Park, and our misadventures along the way. Those racoons !!! There will be photos soon of Patrick's Point here on the blog. Rick and I spent an afternoon there before heading up to Brookings. Fond memories. Patrick's Point has a special place in our hearts. Always!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.