Friday, July 15, 2011

The Kitchen Porch Frogs.


From the summer of 2008

We have been invaded with little frogs yet again.
They cause some nasty surprises once in a while.
I’m certain the frogs don’t care for these episodes
 and at the time and I don’t either.

They show up every summer like clockwork.
 I think they spend the winters
down by the natural spring beyond the pole barn.

They like hiding in the mop
which I keep on the kitchen porch.
 I have to check and shake it out before using,
because the frogs love the mop
 when it’s damp from being used.

Well, one clung to the mop, even though
it was shaken (not stirred ~ sorry!) out.

I did not realize this, until emptying the sink
 full of Pine Sol water,
which is apparently poisonous to the little frogs…

The dirty mop water drained
until just about empty from the sink
 when these little tiny frog feet started showing
 as the water swirled down…
 and then the legs became visible,
and then the stiff body…. Eeuuwww!

Last week I was vacuuming spider webs
 from the deck and porch roofs,
using the extra vacuum cleaner extension tubes
which are stored outside ~ on the kitchen porch.
 The extra extension tubes are necessary
 for reaching the open beam ceilings around here.

Our vacuum cleaner has a clear canister
which unfortunately allows one to see swirling dusty frogs.
He survived ~ a bit dazed though.

 Almost the worst though, was the frog
 that decided to hide out in the leaf blower.
 Yep he did,
 and he shot out of there like a cannon ball
when I turned it on to blow tree debris off the deck.
Hopefully he survived as well.
 
This little guy  in the photo above is full size.
 He got scared, peed on the table
 and took off to the underside when I approached
with the camera in hand.

I'll finish this off with a warning.
 Check under the patio furniture cushions
 if you come to sit for a spell on the kitchen porch.
Squashed frogs aren't pretty.

 Summer 2009 followup:


I put my garden shoes on - out on the deck,
and thought the shoe felt wet.
Well, that wouldn’t be too weird.
 Maybe they got wet while turning on the faucet
 for some reason or other…
After mowing the lawn
and then doing some other outdoor chores,
 I kicked off the garden shoes on the deck
and slipped into my Birkenstocks.
 Oh yeah, comfy, and what the hay…
One white sock is stained
 as though I’d walked though a bit of mud.
One  toe section looks a bit bloody...
 Nothing hurts though. So ~ Oh well.
 It feels so good to get out
 of the worn out garden shoes
and cool off as the day is heading towards 100 degrees.
The next morning,
while trying to slip on my garden shoes back on,
 something felt wrong…
 It was the desiccated remains of a frog
that I had unknowingly killed the morning before…
and walked around with it in my shoes,
back and forth,
and back and forth
 for an hour while mowing the lawn
and then another hour or so of gardening.
 Toe’d jam.
 
To all the frogs out there…
 STAY OUT OF MY SHOES!
and remember last years warnings...
stay out of the chair cushions,
the leaf blower,
 the vacuum,
 the mop,
and the barbecue grill, etc.

Thank you.
















3 comments:

  1. Oh my word...

    You know, we do have a lot of frogs. We do have a pond and creek a few hundred feet from my back door. We mostly have the large bullfrogs.. but we find the little ones all over the place. I've never found them in my shoes though. Come to think of it, I've not seen any since we ran over one in the driveway this spring. Wonder where the little buggers are hangin out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo those frogs should definetly stay out of your way. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love froggies but maybe not in this case

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.