Ginger~Sesame Bok Choy
serves 4
takes just about 15 minutes total, start to finish
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
5 thin slices peeled fresh ginger
4 to 5 heads baby bok choy
(1 pound) each halved lengthwise
1. In a small bowl,
whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
Set aside.
2. In a large skillet with a tight fitting lid,
bring 1 cup water and ginger to a boil.
Add the bok choy; reduce to a simmer.
Cover and cook until leaves are vibrant green
and stems are fork-tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
Drain well; discard ginger.
3. Transfer bok choy to a serving platter;
drizzle with the vinegar-soy mixture,
and serve immediately.
Recipe is from Martha Stewart's Every Day Food magazine.
My notes:
This is very reminiscent of the flavors
we enjoyed while stationed in Japan.
Not everyone is going to like it.
The sesame oil is a very strong flavor.
We like it and you just might like it as well.
My addition:
I added a sprinkling of sesame seeds
just for the photo.
I should have toasted them
in a dry skillet first. It would have
brought a toasty flavor, and color.
If you make this,
try drizzling just a portion of the sauce
over the baby bok choy.
The recipe makes more sauce
than you actually need.
My opinion of course.
Have a great weekend.
As always,
Take Care


Wow, that does look good. My favorite food in Japan was their pizza! And their Ramon (sp?) - sure wish I could get their Ramon here. Oh yeah their chocolates too - their cakes!!! Oh my it has been so long since we have been to Japan huh? Now when I see the destruction there, my hearts hurts for them so bad. I wonder if some of the Japanese people that I knew while I was stationed there had relatives up north...No way of knowing...
ReplyDelete