Dunsmuir is one of my most favorite little small towns in the world.
It was where my grandparents lived when I was growing up.
Driving to Dunsmuir from our home seemed to take forever back then.
Of course back then , you traveled on old
highway 99 with it's dangerous mountain curves,
and steep engine lugging climbs.
We didn't have air conditioning then,
and at summer temps of over 100 degrees, it was tough.
The curves made my brother car sick.
Every time.
Our parents smoked.
Enough said.
Once we were in Dunsmuir though, ah!
Clean and cooler mountain air, enough to clear the lungs
and settle the queasy stomach from too many curves.
We just loved our grandparents house.
There was a very small creek running along side
our grandparents house that kept the small back yard nice and cool,
even on the hottest days.
We drove by the house last weekend.
Oh my gosh.It's so tiny!
So much smaller, than I remembered.
Now Interstate-5 with multiple lanes and far fewer curves to drive,
make the trip much easier, and fast.
One local spot to enjoy is called the Brown Trout Cafe and Gallery.
It's located in an historic merchantile building
with brick walls, high ceiling, and a wooden floor.
It overlooks the rail yard and the Sacramento River beyond it.
One side is the coffee house where you can order up a brew of organic and free trade coffees.
How about scones, muffins or cookies?
They also serve lunch if you're so inclined.
They have framed historic photos of the railyard inside the restrooms.
I stepped inside while waiting for our coffee.
I only had time to click one photo, before the room was needed by someone else.
There were several photos of train wrecks, snow removal scenes, and old town photos.
Back in the gallery, I thought this summer outfit was cute. For a tiny person.
I really loved this, for an even tiny-er person.
It's too cute for words, and the colors ~~ wow.
Check out the wheels!
Oh so colorful and cute, and did you notice the little tiny fish?
I wanted to take another close up photo of the fish,
but a tiny
and awfully cute little two year old girl
wanted to get a close up look as well. (sigh)
Moving on, there's one feature to the building that I think is way cool.
Care to guess what this is?
It's natures air conditioning.
The creek that runs beside what used to be my grandparents house,
also runs underneath this building.
The cold air flows up through the floor grate and into the room.
They must seal it off in the winter time.
You can just see the rushing water in the shaded section of the grate in the photo above.
I love these old wooden floors.


How fun! I love visiting small towns. Very interesting about the natural a/c.. pretty "cool"! HA! Have a great day.
ReplyDeleteI never been there - it looks great. You remember though --you, I and Ruth finally saw the ocean with me - that was the first time I saw that at age 17 wasn't it? Everyone thought we were from the midwest. The racoons ate our food. What made me think of that? Anyway, good photos again! That creek is a great way for cool air. :)
ReplyDeleteHey Anita, Of course I remember that camping trip, along with the racoons, and the first time you had seen the ocean. Very special memories. I didn't remember her name was Ruth. Plus we were 19, already sharing an apartment etc. I was driving and I remember looking back through the rear view mirror of clam beach for my very own last look of Clam Beach, before we turned inland. Our daughters family is camping there at Patrick's Point next month. My grandson loves camping, and the ocean. I'm really glad that our love of camping and the ocean has passed down to him.
ReplyDeleteIt's really funny to hear your comment, cause I just told that racoon story at Seniors the other day.