Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cherry Tomato and Asparagus Salad


1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and halved
6 cups halved cherry, grape, and pear tomatoes in varied colors
½ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes
1 cup sliced basil leaves
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper

Boil asparagus in a large pot of salted water for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Mix asparagus with remaining ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well to coat evenly with dressing.

From the June issue of Sunset magazine.

This salad was very good. I did make a couple of changes to make use of what I had. Our garden grown tomatoes aren’t ready yet, but fresh asparagus at the store is in season now. So, I used store bought cherry tomatoes and threw in a couple more larger tomatoes to have enough for this recipe. Our basil  isn't ready yet, so instead I stirred in a heaping tablespoon of pesto frozen from last years  basil.  One other change, I cut the asparagus into thirds, rather than in half. 
This salad is really good when freshly made, but it doesn't keep well in the refrigerator for too long. 
It's going to be really good with home grown tomatoes and basil.  

2 comments:

  1. Yummy I will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and we have so enjoyed your photo's of your trip and of the lake and mountains. You have such and interesting blog! I need to keep up with my blog more and write something interesting.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.