My intention was to continue with posts from Dunsmuir, and I will.
But today I wanted too get to this first.
This rascal happens to be napping on what used to be my strawberry bed.
Little mini alpine strawberry plants that I started myself from seeds.
I nurtured them to maturity and marveled at their intense strawberry flavor
that comes from such tiny little berries.
They’re the first berries that our grandson picked
on his own while learning his colors and about the garden.
Red ones you pick… green ones you wait awhile.
I garden without pesticides so he would pop them straight from the plant right into his mouth.
He loved them. The plants are several years old.
They don’t send out many runners, so you'll need to start them from seeds,
but they do multiply with the seeds from the berries that escape attention and get too ripe.
This year the deer have found them and won’t leave them alone.
They grab a snack (the whole plant) and then lay on what’s left of them.
The plants are having a very hard time this year. I just purchased another pack of seeds.
They're available here at the local OSH. Orchards Supply Hardware.
I know this store is in northern Ca., but I'm not sure if they're elsewhere.
Anyway, the seeds are available online as well. I love Renee's Garden seeds.
Yes, I’m going to have to fence or do something to protect what little garden area I have here.
I didn’t want to, cause this small garden leads to the compost pile
and also to the path down hill to the road. But somethings gotta give.
We also went out to go fishing the other night.
These photos are from our marina which is just across the way from Packers Bay,
where they were doing an 80 acre controlled burn.
Which is all good as long as they keep it controlled.
But this small amount of smoke, was an unpleasant reminder
of the summer of 2008 with 2000 plus fires occurred
in the northern half of CA due to lightning strikes from one severe summer thunder storm.
It was a miserable summer in the smoke.
Someday soon I’ll post old photos and stories from then.
This last photo was taken at the marina looking towards the east and I-5.



Ahh.. we have quite a number of those rascals. They live in our forest behind our home. I have to be really careful what I plant.. or forget about it. I have to agree, some sort of barrier is what you need. Good luck with keeping them at bay. They sure are cute though!
ReplyDeleteWe had to "fence in" our garden because of those darling critters. What a bummer about those plants. What good memories with your grandson. I love those pictures of the lake. Yes, do post some of those fire pictures if you get a chance, they will really make us all appreciate the ones today that is for sure!
ReplyDelete