Thursday, September 13, 2012

Visiting The Old Neighborhood





Shasta Retreat
is on the northern edge
of Dunsmuir, CA.
It's the neighborhood
where my grandfather Frank
built a home for his family.



See the rock in the center of the photo
with the white paint on it.
That rock has a naked lady
  carved into it which has been there
since my mom and aunts were kids.


They used to fish this stream for trout. 
 Grandpa was an avid fly fisherman
and tied his own fishing flies.



The old bridge was replaced with
a newer one lane bridge.
You can see what's left of the old one
 to the left of the photo above.
The bridge was at the bottom
of a long hillside where
Mom, Fran and Margie
used to sled down the very steep slope.
It was a risky ride down,
and they had to make sure they were 
centered in the road to make it 
across the bridge.


The railroad followed the river
up the canyon.  Back then the
trains were diesel and  black
smoke filled the canyon when
the trains went through.
Everyone rushed to take  their 
laundry off the line when they
heard the trains coming.


I spied a bit of Fall color 
in this photo.

Dunsmuir is up in the mountains
and it's winter season was often 
very harsh with heavy snowfalls.

Back again soon,
with more of this neighborhood.


5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful stream, I could sit by that all day and take in the beauty.

    Can you imagine all the fuss nowadays if trains emitted that much polution into the air?

    Can't wait to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful stream. Next week I plan to post photos of the house they built.

      Delete
  2. Those are cool shots indeed! I would like to see that rock, and to think that it has been there so long! I just love creeks.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.