Fall colors are
starting to appear
in bits and pieces around here.
The Chinese Pastiche trees
are just starting to share their
autumn colors.
We don't have an abundance of
trees in our area that turn those
golden yellows, orange and beautiful
reds each year. Our own trees
turn brown and then the leaves
hang out until late November
and even through Christmas.
I'm not fond of that at all ~
having Christmas arrive when
everything still looks brown.
I did find a bit of fall color
on the beach, of all places.
OK, so back to the cabin's kitchen.
It was super tiny...
I mean a one butt kitchen.
You could stand at the sink
and touch the stove and the refrigerator.
There was just enough room
to get things done.
If I stood in front of
and up against the stove,
Rick could squeeze
in to get to the sink.
So perhaps it was
a two butt kitchen.
Add Liberty who was
trying to get to her food dish,
and things got a little tight.
Liberty didn't understand
that she needed to be the first
one out...
Fun ~ Times
This was our view out the
one of the kitchen's window.
It's not the greatest photo
but you can get a sense of
the tall trees and the misty fog.
I'll have to remember for next year,
that the blackberries are ripe in
mid September.
I'd like to take some supplies,
sugar and half dozen or so canning jars
to put up some blackberry preserves.
Cause look at these beautiful
plump blackberries.
Trinidad has long been
a vacation destination for my family.
Many years ago, we picked blackberries
and tried to get them home in time
to freeze them or put up some jam.
Well... they molded by the time
we got home.
This year, I picked only what
we needed to make some
blackberry jam/syrup for pancakes.
Because fresh black berries
preserves can even make Bisquick
pancakes taste gourmet.
We took the little hybrid car
over to the coast. There was
no room to pack grocery supplies,
so we purchased sugar and pancake mix
over there at the grocery store in town.
I still have some of the blackberry
preserves in the refrigerator here.
I should make pancakes this morning,
and this time from scratch.
Darn that photo is making me hungry.
It's 5:45AM while I'm typing this.
Rick and Liberty are asleep.
The coffee is finished perking though.
I'll just have to finish this post
and get downstairs for my first cup.
~~~
Now look at this cool window thingy.
This is the bathroom window
in the cabin.
The window is hinged at the top.
The knob unscrews ~ loosening it's grip
on the brass rod.
Push the window out,
tighten the knob and it holds
the window open for you.
The walls and ceilings
of the entire cabin were built
with this wood.
It wasn't quite as red
as the photo shows.
Fuchsias grow like wildflowers over there.
Beautiful eh?
We woke up to wildfire smoke
in the middle of the night.
The Coal fire is burning
north of us near where the Salt Creek
fire was. It's burned well over 200 acres
already. Dang Dang Dang.
We had a week of clean air
and appreciated every breath of it.
Sigh.
Anyway, I hear Rick is up
and letting Liberty out.
I'll finish this and get downstairs
to greet the morning with coffee
and probably toast with some
of that blackberry jam.
Have a great weekend!


Beautiful photos and I'm drooling over those blackberries! Man they're making me miss my parents place. They have those growing like weeds and they are sooooo yummy!
ReplyDeleteGuess what I'm having for supper!!! Your wonderful pictures made me hungry for pancakes..Pancakes and wine ??? Yuk..I'll work it out...I packed the garage today..I earned them..
ReplyDeleteOh girl I miss those blackberries. We use to pick them every year and Mother would make the best blackberry cobbler!!! Thanks for making me hungry too - I just had some delicious blueberry pie that my hubby made. He makes really good pies!
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful flowers and I really like that picture of the leaf!
You sure do get up early! I'm retired so I sleep in till 8 or 9am. Chuck is usually up by 7 am unless he has to work. We have blackberry bushes right up here by the house and in the neighbors pasture. Chuck went blackberry picking with Joe and they got some big blackberries. I have a bag frozen in my freezer. We gave 2 bags away. That tomatoe jam never got thick I followed your receipe. I wonder is its because I used spenda instead of sugar?
ReplyDeleteCathy, I bet the Splenda is the reason for the tomato jam's failure to set. I'm sorry for the wasted time and ingredients. Is it even syrupy? I'm wondering because you might be able to use it for a syrup rather than jam if it is even slightly gelled.
DeleteI wonder how many people fix pancakes for breakfast this morning just because they say your pictures? We also live where these grow everywhere, along the roads, in fields, in ditches, I even have some trying to take root in my front flower beds. I have no idea how it even got there. Maybe a bird? Anyway, have a wonderful day and hopefully the wildfires will soon go away.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post ..love the Fuchsias and blueberries yummmmm (:)
ReplyDeleteYup I like Fred Meyers.. hope your day is wonderful ..
hugs.Patty