I needed a dessert or a salad
to share at a potluck/bingo/thank you
volunteer dinner tonight.
I'm usually a
from scratch kind of
baker when it comes time to
whip up something from the oven.
Now's not the time to
bake in the summer heat,
but I did have a cake mix
in the cupboard that was
passed along to me.
It seemed like it would
be a quick and easy dessert to make.
So, I baked up some chocolate
devil's food cupcakes,
and found a caramel frosting
recipe using ingredients
that I had on hand.
Then I drizzled a bit of melted
chocolate across the top
and called it good to go.
Which would have been fine,
except...
the dinner is next
month on the 31st.
I've had that invitation on the
refrigerator for weeks now,
and I don't know why
I didn't see that it says
AUGUST 31st.
Oh well, I'm sending these
babies to work with Rick tomorrow.
Next month,
I'm making a salad.
Here's the recipe for the caramel
frosting. It's from
The Cake Mix Doctor,
a gift cookbook from Aunt Joyce.
Quick Caramel Frosting
makes 3 cups,
enough to frost a 2 or 3 layer cake.
Prep time: 10 minutes
8 tablespoons butter, (1 stick)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place the butter and brown sugars in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook until the mixture comes to a boil, about 2 minutes. Add the milk, stir, and bring the mixture back to a boil, then remove the pan from the heat. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon until the frosting is smooth.
2. Use immediately (while still warm) to frost the cake of your choice or the frosting will harden. If it does harden while you are frosting the cake, simply place the pan back over low heat and stir until the frosting softens up.
This is awfully sweet,
and I'm thinking a sprinkling
of Fleur De Sel rather than
chocolate would have been
a nice touch with the caramel.


Lucky Rick...I'll put that recipe in my files..looks yummy..
ReplyDeleteYUM! Bet Rick has one or two on the way. :O)
ReplyDeleteOh yum Looks delish..
ReplyDelete(:) thanks on my hutch--
need to post a pic with it filled back up now..LOL
hugs.P
Those look delish! I'll bet your hubby's co-workers are pretty happy you got your dates mixed up.
ReplyDelete