Wednesday, July 11, 2012

4th of July In Brookings


In Brookings, Oregon, 
the fireworks are set off
 from the jetty along the beach.  

 People start arriving for 
the day in the early morning
hours, and gradually fill up the beach,
by the time the sun sets.
Bonfires are lit to ward off the chill.
Smoke from personal fireworks
 and the bonfires
drift around and eventually become
a breathing hazard.
~~~
In past years, 
we stayed the entire day on the beach,
 and we're done with that.
Those were extremely long 
but enjoyable days.
It was beautiful though 
having a front row seat
watching the fireworks 
sparkle all the way down into the ocean.

One year on the fourth,
there was a full moon
watching over all.
It was 
shining bright upon the ocean
and illuminating the waves
as they washed ashore.
Beautiful!





The fireworks are staged up along the jetty,
ready to be fired off for the big show 
which doesn't start until 10 PM.


Meanwhile our family reunion group
is on the green field area away 
from the beach where the air
is much less smokey.


Here's our group of young teen
family members enjoying their 
personal fireworks.


I tried to get photos
of the fireworks from the big show,
but they didn't turn out so well.


Eh, I still like the photos.


The last three photos
are from Conner's stash
of fireworks that we enjoyed
a couple days earlier.


Conner and Katelyn
had a good time
watching Mommy's show.




It's rather nice to go see
the Fourth of July festivities
over on the coast where it's nice
and cool cold.
We were bundled up in blankets
sweatshirts, coats
and whatever else we could
wrap up in.
Liberty enjoyed her evening
greeting everyone who stopped
to pet her. 
  All that attention
  tired her out, so
  she slept through the fireworks.
I don't know how she managed that
but we were really glad that
they didn't bother her.






4 comments:

  1. I have always thought it would be fun to watch the fireworks on the beach. I have never been to Brookings, Bandon is as far south on the Oregon coast as I have been.

    So glad Liberty lived up to her name by not being afraid of the fireworks. Paige didn't fare so well, she was pretty freaked out by it all. She wanted to be on my lap, behind the couch or in the back of my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to compliment you on your flowers in your header, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time. Kinda funny, you all were under blankets to stay warm and it was 105 that day here. We were sweating
    so bad, we couldn't wait for the fireworks to be over so we could go inside. I'd rather be under a blanket, believe me.
    Firework shots are very tricky. A tripod helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those shots of the fireworks too. We didn't go see any, they had a lot here. But we had to work the next day so we stayed home. I do so enjoy them though. It would be great to see them on the coast! It would be great to be by the coast!!!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.