Thursday, July 5, 2012

Dee's Garden ~ Part 1


There's a mom and pop 
garden nursery called Dee's Garden
that I love to go visit.

white flowers; Tall Garden Phlox  
Phlox p. 'shorty White'
day lilies foreground. 
I first became aware of this special
garden when it was one of the 
stops on our Shasta Lake Garden Tour and Tea.

Purple Coneflower
Echinacea p. Mangus
One of the reasons I'm fond
of this place is because they have the 
same poor red soil that we have here at home.


Their garden is only five years old.


When they first started the garden,
he had one and a half feet of top
soil bulldozed to the side
 of the 1/2 acre garden.


Then he purchased loads and loads 
of compost from the Redding's 
transfer station.  They compost on 
on a huge scale and then sell the compost
after it's ready to local gardeners. 

Coreopsis 'Tabitian Sunset'   and Castor Bean

He  (Dee's husband) 
said that they then mixed it 
with the soil that they scraped aside,
and that the ratio of compost to soil
was 50/50. 


He say's he hasn't added anything since.
I asked him if he top dressed at all.
Nope.
I've been skeptical of the compost
sold there at the transfer station (dump),
because I wasn't sure what pesticides
and stuff might still be in the compost.




But with results like this...
I may reconsider my opinion
and try this compost
rather than the mushroom compost
that we've been buying. 




Castor Bean
I do know that good rich
soil is the key to successful  gardening.

Montbretia
Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
If you are local to our Redding area,
Dee's Garden is a nice place
to see what's possible with our heat
and soil conditions.  


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful garden..Yup, I'm sure the soil has a lot to do with it..I've probably planted over a dozen cone flowers over the past 10 years and have only one plant to show for it...My Lucifers never make it through the winter either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I would LOVE for my garden to look as beautiful as Dee's! Wow the flowers are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere in the back of my mind my gardens look like that, unfortunately in reality they don't even begin to compare. Everything is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering how they did that in the red dirt; however, Mother used to have quite a lovely flower garden in Shingletown. She really enjoyed that. I think you do need to reconsider Redding's dirt. :)

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.