There's a reason for so few
photos from Ferndale in a prior post.
It's a gorgeous photo worthy town,
with Victorian buildings built with
detailed trim and fantastic colors.
There's absolutely fabulous flowers
everywhere due to the wonderful
marine climate.
It was getting late in the day.
about where we would end up
staying for the night.
Keeping it real here.
My mood was turning towards
disappointment because Ferndale
wasn't like it used to be.
The shops we loved to explore
were either changed or gone altogether.
It was also close to dinner time
and so it was time to head north to Eureka.
We were looking forward to a
sea food dinner at an old Eureka restaurant
from our honeymoon past. It's still there,
but we couldn't find it due to road closures
for a music festival,
and one way streets leading us elsewhere
during the local rush hour.
The restaurant
sits on harbor, right where the fishing
boats bring in their catch. The restaurant
has an attached fish market and the fresh
catch of the day
is delivered right to the restaurant.
Driving circles in heavy traffic
wasn't doing either of us any good.
Knowing when to say 'enough',
we left Eureka and decided a place
to stay before the hotels fill up
was probably a better use of our
time, than enjoying a seafood dinner.
My mood by then needs a swift
attitude adjustment. Quickly!
So I busy myself online with an
I-pod and a broadband modem trying to find
a room for the evening.
Making a long story shorter,
we didn't find a hotel room in
Arcata or McKinleyville.
The wait for information to load on
the I-pod wasn't helping, while
traveling north from one town into
the next. Ack!
It was time to make
a decision not only about the room, but
dinner as well.
Thank goodness
for snacks that were packed
away in the trunk for just such
an occasion. Mixed nuts,
sliced red bell peppers from
the ice chest, and a couple of
crisp Pink Lady apples were
dinner for the night.
We briefly stopped at
the Memorial Lighthouse
to take some evening photos.
(yesterday's post)
and then drove along
Patrick's Point Drive,
searching for a place to
spend the night.
Along this Drive, there are several
options of places to stay,
from cute little cabins,
to quaint and small motel rooms.
There's quite a few choices.
It wasn't looking good though.


I actually like to travel with no exact destination, just see where I end up. Unfortunatly hubby likes to know where, when and how right down to the last detail. He starts packing and loading the trailer a week before we go anywhere while I like to do it all in one day. Oh well, it keeps life interesting.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photo's. Love the purple flower, what is that?
Connie, I believe that purple flower is a hydrangea. I don't know which type. They do grow well over there on the coast.
ReplyDelete