Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Katy's Smokehouse & Fishmarket ~ Trinidad, CA



It's become a tradition
  for us to stop at Katy's Smokehouse
whenever we are in Trinidad.
Our first visit was 35 years ago.



It certainly has changed
a bit over the years.
They've been here
since the early 1940's.

  

We always stop in for a
small piece of smoked salmon.  
  
In the past the smoked fish
was arranged  in various sizes
on trays inside the refrigerated case.
We would choose our small piece,
 and they would weigh it,
 wrap it in butcher paper, 
and hand it over the counter.

Meanwhile we'd
wince with shock at how
expensive that little piece of fish was.

Now days, it's already vacuum packed with the
price clearly marked.  It's not quite as
fun as the old way, but oh well.



This time we purchased
a can of Albacore as well.

I'm waiting for a special occasion
to open this can of tuna.
It was  rather expensive.
   I hope it's as good as promised.

 I do love the ingredient list.



 The fish monger told us
that most of the tuna
sold today, has been
 repeatedly boiled to remove
the oil for the
omega~3 fish oil pills,
leaving a product that isn't
what it once was.



  Well, no wonder
I haven't liked canned tuna in a long while.

Now, I don't know for sure 
that this info is accurate.
  I'm just telling you
what he said. 
  


In Reno,
 at the Fairchild's Oyster Bar,
 the plates passing by to other diners
 included this little yellow package.
Having no idea what it was,
I was wondering if  it was 
 some sort of Dim Sum bundle....
 I was wrong.


I'm sure everyone elsewhere, outside
of the boondocks would have already
known it was a lemon half wrapped in
a plastic cloth netting for squeezing over
your fish dinners.


But since it was cute and new to me,
I brought it home for blog show and tell.




   



2 comments:

  1. Sweet! I agree about the Tuna too. That lemon is cute! Another fun adventure for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the tuna label and the cute lemon on top! What an adorable idea!!

    I just love quaint places like that!!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.