I asked Rick to turn around
and go back so that I could
take a photo of this sign in Brookings.
We thought it was funny that they
would offer fish and chips with fries.
We had a very busy weekend.
You know how you start
just one little project,
and it turns into something
much bigger than you expected...
Yeah, that happened.
It started with a new (to us) bookcase
for Rick's office/guest room.
We ended up turning my
sewing/computer/office/craft
room into a huge mishmash of
"not quit right"
and
"something has to go" mess.
All because I took his old bookcase
for my room,
but it doesn't really fit in
with what's already in the room.
Rick would rather I never
try to rearrange a room while
he's home. It's always
an exercise in frustration.
Sigh.
His room is nice, but mine
is still a mess, and we have
company coming tomorrow.
I didn't work on it today,
because it was my volunteer day
for the Brown Bag program at the
Senior Center.
We also
took the boat off the
lake Saturday to get it refueled
and cleaned up. It was
already a very busy and full
Saturday and we had plans
for the night as well.
We bought tickets from
a co-worker who couldn't
go to a Little Big Town
concert Saturday night.
source:
The concert was here
in the restored Cascade
theater which first opened in 1935.
It's a beautiful Art Deco building
that seats 1000 people. So it's a small
venue, with great acoustics.
I loved it!
I remember seeing
Disney's 'The Jungle Book'
there as a little kid and later
'2001 a Space Odyssey',
which at the time
seemed so far in the future...
Sigh.
The rest of my limited movie going
childhood involved going to the
drive in theater with my aunt's family.
I can't remember what
we saw at the drive in. But I do
remember Aunt Fran making fried
chicken and potato salad for the event.
I also remember the hot~hot pavement
radiating heat up through the blanket
we were sitting upon in front of the car.
One more movie going memory:
My girlfriend and I (hi Anita)
stayed up all night for a
Planet of the Apes movie marathon.
We were 19 or 20 at the time.
I couldn't/wouldn't do that again.
I'd be asleep
before the first movie was over.
Sigh.
This blurry photo is from a couple
of years ago. I've included it here,
because I was too busy last night
to take a photo of the baby deer
that was stuck between the rails
in the same spot.
For some reason,
he was up on the deck
and Mama deer was on the other side
in the garden space
eating to her hearts content~
until he got stuck.
It's a good thing we were home,
as we had decided against going
to the lake for an evening swim.
I grabbed his
flea ridden back legs
with potholders
while Rick pushed him back through
from the other side of the fence.
Rick got a ton of stickers
and probably poison oak
on his hands
from this adventure.
I'm not going to forget
the scream-cry of that baby.
It was awful,
and nerve wracking,
and very loud.
The mom deer was pacing
back and forth,
and we were wondering
if she was going to charge at us.
The noise brought our neighbor
running up the hill to see if she could help.
Once we got the baby
back through the fence,
he took off down the hill,
leaving his mama behind.
She couldn't keep up with him
as he sped into the woods.
He may still be running
for all I know.
I haven't seen any deer around
today, but then I haven't been home.
We doubt that particular
mama and baby will be back by.
Then again....



Funny sign and kinda ironic as I'm making tilapia sandwiches tonight with chips... uhem... fries.
ReplyDeleteOne of these days we are going to have to meet for lunch--or--at the lake. We often drop in at Packer's Bay.
ReplyDeleteHow is it that a seemingly small project can become a huge endeavor. I would just shut the door and takle it a different day.
ReplyDeleteLoved the story about the fawn getting caught in the fence. I'll bet that mama was frantic.
Oh my I forgot about the Planet of the Apes movie marathon - it was me wasn't it? My memory is not as good as it used to me. I do remember watching all the planet of the apes - so it was probably me. Whenever I want a happy memory the time we were happy in the "wind and meadow" yelling, "I'm free".
ReplyDeleteOnce again cute cute pictures!
I always like to be away from home when Jerry is doing projects like that. I like to come home and see it all done. :)