Lemon Verbena is one of my favorite
herbs to grow. Brush your hand across the leaves
and the aroma is absolutely lemony.
I've grown lemon verbena for years
and never used it as an herb,
until this past week.
I decided to try a recipe found on Linda's
Prairie Flower Farm Blog.
Time for tea out on the deck.
This is Linda's lemon verbena bread and jasmine tea.
Talk about smelling wonderful.
The jasmine tea perfumes the air around you,
and the lemon scent from the bread. ~~ Oh my goodness!
You can use dried lemon verbena leaves as a tea also.
I should try that someday.
The tea towel is one that I picked up at the
American Cancer Society Tea/Boutique.
It has four of those tea pots appliqued across the bottom.
Grab your cup of tea and check out Linda's blog.
Here's her handy recipe print out link:
Please print out the recipe from that link.
You'll get a cute recipe page adorned
with red rick~rack and flowers.
It felt weird to take food out on the deck
to take photos. Rick says as long as I don't have
imaginary friends out there enjoying tea with me,
it's perfectly OK. I did drink the tea, but I added those
three slices of "mini loaf size " tea bread to the plate
I took to Seniors for game day.
Everyone loved it.
Thanks Linda!
Lemon Verbena Bread
1 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped lemon verbena leaves
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 eggs
Glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon verbena leaves, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
Cream butter with verbena leaves in mixer or food processor. Add sugar and beat well, then eggs, salt, and remaing ingredients. Grease loaf pans: 1 large, 2 small, or 4 mini loaf pans. Pour in batter about 1/2 full. Bake at 350*F for 30 to 45 minutes depending on pan size. Test bread by using a toothpick or cake tester. Meanwhile, prepare glaze. Mix ingredients listed. Leave loaf in pan. While it's still hot, pour glaze over it and let sit several hours. Remove loaf from pan. Wrap in foil to ripen overnight before serving or freeze immediately. You may garnish it with whatever leaves or blooms are on hand. Verbena leaves, lavender blossoms, violets or small roses are beautiful. It freezes well.


Oh it looks so beautiful...........I love every photo that you took. I want to come and sit at your table. Now how far did you say you lived........smile.
ReplyDeleteHugs to your day sweet friend,
Linda
Thanks for the recipe it looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThat does look good, I wish I could come over to your house and have some with tea...
ReplyDeletePatricia, I am so happy to find you! What a lovely blog you have. And this recipe is a must try. I have a huge plant of lemon verbena in my perenial border and have never made one thing with it. Now this delicious looking recipe is perfect! Thank you so much for posting it... and all the pretty images!
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful stop!
Yvonne
Oh my goodness, you all bring joyful tears to my eyes. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI just love Linda.. she is a such a sweet "sister".
ReplyDeleteThat bread looks so good, and I bet it smelled even better.
Lemon Verbena always reminds me of Little House on the Prairie. I remember Laura Ingalls being so enthralled with Miss Beetles Lemon Verbena perfume.. HA!