This is just half the harvest from one morning.
The other half is our cousins problem... LOL
Just kidding Phylis...kinda...sorta.
It's a wonderful challenge to use up the produce in
creative ways.
These vegetables have their own natural sheen.
I think a different squash casserole is in order for tonight, or
perhaps something from the Thai cookbook that uses eggplant and zucchinni.
I made two cucumber salads from the recipes posted yesterday.
Again.
If you are dealing with an abundance of
garden fresh produce, then you should seek out this book.
It's chock full of wonderful recipes that use up your
harvest. If you don't garden, it doesn't matter.
Shop the farmers markets or your local grocery store.
This book is absolutely fabulous.
It's compiled from recipes sent in by gardeners,
who know how to use the gifts from the garden.
It's not a vegetarian book either.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. ( grin)
I love it and wanted to mention it
while the summer harvest is at it's peak.
It's compiled by Victoria Wise.
I mistakenly covered part of her name with my clippers.
I've had my copy for years.
It might be in your local library.
Plus I've checked for it online and used copies are available.
Enjoy!


A garden is a staple in our family. They are always pushing brown bags of cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, etc. Of course I'm more than willing to accept. Who could turn down the home grown loveliness. I can see how using it up before it spoils can be an issue. OF course canning is always an option.
ReplyDeleteI still have some stuff that I canned last summer, plus a bit more in the freezer. I made jars and jars of frozen pesto last summer, and I'm so glad I did. This year's first basil crop failed. Cousin Phylis has planted more and it's up this time. Yeah! I have a few plants here at home that I've been using for fresh dishes.
ReplyDeleteThe tomatoes that I brought home yesterday got sent up with my daughter to her family. She was thrilled.
Thanks for the tip on the book. I would love to get my hands on a copy.
ReplyDeleteMy garden is really producing alot of tomatoes, peppers and okra this year. Plus our neighbor up the hill gives us corn,cucumbers, okra, tomatoes and peas plus watermelon and cantalope. As soon as the tomatoes are ripe and I have enough, I either make spagetti sauce, salsa and whole tomatoes and can them. My daughter and girls took home jars of sauce, pickles, salsa and peaches. While they were here we ate the corn I froze. Never got to the peas though. I love canning and our friends enjoy getting jars of veggies as well as fresh veggies. We had blackberries again this year. They grow wild in the field. Made 4 half pints of blackberry jelly. Still have blackberries in the freezer to make jam with. Its nice to have this stuff to eat on all winter.
Patty I was able to find a used copy of that cookbook on Barnes and Nobel web site. Of course the postage cost more than the book
ReplyDelete($3.99)the book was only $1.99 at a used book store in GA. I should get it in a couple of days and hopefully will help use up some of my veggies. Last night after we came home from the lake we went out and picked a bunch of plum and cherry tomatoes and okra. Our neighbor came by with another watermelon and a jar of plum jam.