From a couple of summers ago.
The Kitchen Porch Frogs
We have been invaded with little frogs yet again. They cause some nasty surprises once in a while. I’m certain the frogs don’t care for these episodes and at the time I don’t either. They show up every summer like clockwork. I think they spend the winters down by the natural spring that runs from the edge of our property beyond the “pole barn”, or in some sort of hibernation. I’d have to look it up, but being exasperated with computer quirks already, I’ll leave the researching frog life habbits to you.They like hiding in the mop which I keep on the kitchen porch. I have to check and shake it out before using, because the frogs love the mop when it’s damp from being used. Well, one clung to the mop, even though it was shaken. I did not realize this until emptying the sink full of Pine Sol water, which is apparently poisonous to the little frogs…
The dirty mop water drained until just about empty from the sink when these little tiny frog feet were showing as the water swirled down… and then the legs, and stiff body…. Eeuuwww!
Last week I was vacuuming spider webs from the deck and porch roofs, using the extra vacuum cleaner extension tubes stored outside,. . on the kitchen porch. They are necessary for reaching the open beam ceilings around here. Our vacuum cleaner has a clear canister which allows one to see swirling dusty frogs. He survived.
The worst though was the frog that decided to hide out in the leaf blower. Now he shot out of there like a cannon ball and he survived as well.
This little guy/gal above is full size. He got scared, peed on the table and took off to the underside. I'll finish this off with a warning. Check under the patio furniture cushions if you come to sit for a spell on the kitchen porch. Squashed frogs aren't pretty.
From last summer:
This time, I didn’t realize what had happened until the next day. I put my garden shoes on -- out on the deck, and thought the shoe felt wet. Well, that wouldn’t be too weird. Maybe they got wet while turning on the faucet for some reason or other… After mowing the lawn and then doing some other outdoor chores, I kicked off the garden shoes on the deck and slipped into my Birkenstocks. Oh yeah, comfy, and what… one white sock is stained as though I’d walked though a bit of mud. One section looks a bit bloody.. Nothing hurts though. Oh well. It feels so good to get out of the worn out garden shoes and cool off as the day is heading towards 100 degrees. The next morning, trying to slip on my garden shoes, something felt wrong… it was the desiccated remains of a frog that I had unknowingly killed the morning before….and walked around with it in my shoes, back and forth, back and forth for an hour mowing the lawn and then another hour or so of gardening. Toe’d jam.
To all the frogs out there… STAY OUT OF MY SHOES! and remember last years warnings...stay out of the chair cushions, the leaf blower, the vacuum, the mop, and the barbecue grill, etc



No comments:
Post a Comment
It is so nice to hear from you.