Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Visit to Lassen Park, Labor Day Weekend.






Last month we visited 
Lassen Volcanic National Park,
during the Labor Day weekend.
It's an hour's drive away,
and it only took us 12 years to 
go see the park after we moved here.
Glad we went, cause it's closed now...
(Cussing out the politicians here.)



I should hold the camera down at 
ground level more often.  I like this 
photo even though the duck in the water
is too dark to see.



Fall color was just starting to show at Manzanita 
Lake which is at a lower elevation in the park.


Conner was with us.
It was cold, so sweaters were needed
at the lower elevation of the park...
Conner borrowed Grandpa's sweatshirt.
Oh, and those are Crock's not clogs...
Grandma's need to stay on top of these things.



Heading up towards Lassen Peak.
The road reaches it's summit
 at just over 8,000 feet.



A glacier left this bolder behind.
How big is it?


I wanted a photo of Conner with
the bolder, but there were too many people
doing the same.  
At this elevation, the wind had picked up
and we were cold.


Conner wanted to head back into the car.
This is also where you park to take the
trail down to Bumpass Hell.
It's where mud boils, and 
steaming sulfur vents emit
odoriferous fumes.

I saw Bumpass Hell as a little kid
and the smell was unforgettable.
It still smells the same.



Surprisingly the lupine were in full bloom.
It was spring time in the high elevation.
It has snowed there since then.



See the Vulcan Eye?
I didn't know it had a name until 
I looked it up.


There's hikers in this photo.
They are at the top center of the mountain
and just to the right hand side, midway down.


Closer look at the Vulcan's Eye,



and the hikers.





The trail to the summit
was only open for a few days
this summer during just
  a few weekends.
About ten days total.
The closures are because
they're repairing restraining walls.
One wall crumbled a couple summers
ago killing a little boy who had been
sitting on the wall with his sister.


The officials at the park
were found guilty of covering up
evidence and the family has recently
received a settlement for an undisclosed amount.




Glacier scars.


Amazing huh?
The power of ice.






 Due to extreme amounts of snow,
the main park road usually 
closes in the fall,
and stays closed through June
and into July.


   Lake Helen at 
8,200 feet gets between six and
seven hundred inches of snow each winter.


Last year, a lightning strike
started the Reading Fire in the park
during a red flag alert.
It had been a record dry year.


Park officials decided to let it burn
to reduce future fuel loads...
Big Mistake.



The fire escaped park boundaries
and burned 28,079 acres.

The fire started July 23,
and was finally contained on
August 21.


 The main park road is 29 miles long
offering many different views of the 
mountain, as you wind your way around it.



The National Park websites 
are shut down today...so I had to find 
other sources to get accurate information
to share.



Ah, well, on to the next stop.






 I wanted to say I'm sorry if this
post seems way too long.
I didn't want to divide it into two posts.


I did cut it down from the 80 favorite 
photos of the park that I started out with. 

Ooh, you're lucky.
I just deleted the rest of this
post which was a political rant.
Rick is on partial furlough. The office is open and most of the employees are working.  But they will not get paid until the politicians can straighten out the mess they have made.

ENOUGH SAID



5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and informative post..I love that kind of country and shores..Thanks for saving us from the "political rant"..there's enough of that going around though it's certainly deserved..Love your pictures as always..

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh cute Conner (:) how old is he.. looks like a fun day for you all
    ..
    yup they wear us out for sure LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must live relatively close to each other - As I am living vicariously through all your fun trips. We are probably just a couple of hours from St. Helens and I can't believe I've never been to Mt. St. Helens. Love your photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha...
    I hear you on politics
    thanks on the Cats (:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mt. Lassen I long to see again! Those pictures were GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! I hiked up there before, sure would love to do it again. I want to scream at the politicians - it really ticks me off! So glad you got up there when you did too. Conner sure is a cutie! I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.