This morning,
before the camera battery died,
I managed to take a few photos
in my little garden.
In October,
when others are getting into the fall colors
our summer flowers are
still blooming.
I've been in a seed collecting mode,
gathering seeds from the Thai basil,
Texas Star (hybiscus coccinea),
green beans, Baby Persian cucumbers,
orange cosmos, marigolds, cleome,
and a coral pink salvia. Those pink salvia seeds
got bumped off the table and onto the carpet.
They're tiny, but Rick did save what he could.
Most of the seeds I just scatter around
in the beds to come again on their own
next spring. Some I'll have to purchase
again... like perhaps the cucumber seeds.
I've never saved them before and I'm not sure
they will be viable or not. I did let a few
cucumbers get ugly big, and yellow ripe
before attempting to save the seeds.
That is one slimy mess to deal with
while trying to get the seeds separated
from the cucumber gel. They stuck to
the plate when they dried, so anyway,
we'll see if they germinate.
It has turned cooler here with below
normal temperatures.
We've started a fire on just a couple
of cool mornings, but most of the time
we just bundle up with sweaters and sweatshirts.
We've had perfect weather lately, although
there is a chance of rain overnight.
It's cool enough to start enjoying hot drinks
during the daytime. I've been staying away
from coffee after mid morning.
Sleeping well,
has become an issue for me.
Before the furlough stuff,
we started having morning coffee dates
every other weekend at Starbucks.
See, we usually have to go to
Home Depot or Lowe's
for home improvement supplies.
If I have to go to those stores,
then he has to go to Starbucks with me
to pick up our pound of
Blond Roast Veranda Blend.
Costco hooked us on that coffee
at a very reasonable price
for a 2 1/2 pound package,
and now they no longer carry it... grrr.
Anyway, the pumpkin scones tempt us,
so we share one.
I'm sure that somewhere there's a recipe
for a pumpkin scone that's even better,
and not so dry. (Sorry Starbucks)
They have a new drink for fall
called Chocolate Chai Tea Latte.
I usually order a small plain coffee
with cream and no sweetener,
but this tea was really good
and I'd be happy to order it again.
It's black tea warmed with chai spices,
and has the barest hint of chocolate.
I've been crocheting more of those
Queen Anne's Lace scarves,
and yes I see why Claudia
called them Obsession Scarves.
I'm on scarf number eight.
Obsession I tell ya.
I still have to weave in the ends,
and take photos.
I know it's late in the season,
but these are my first ripe tomatoes
in the garden that aren't cherry tomato types.
These are Green Zebra's.
My little garden is shaded until the afternoon.
But I have tomatoes!
This morning I also harvested basil
and made two batches of pesto.
I roasted garlic in the oven
for the pesto, and between the
garlic and the fresh picked basil my kitchen
smelled absolutely delicious.
I'm also getting stuff ready for
the American Cancer Society Tea
table I'm hosting on the 20th.
The napkins and napkin rings are finished.
I have the centerpiece left to put together
and wrap, along with little gifts for each
guest. I'll need to iron the tablecloth,
and pack everything together.
I can't show you anything about the tea,
because a few of my guests read my blog.
Ah well...
I have more to say,
but it will have to wait.
It's time to head downstairs
and make something with pesto for dinner.
Take care.





I hate seeing the season come to an end. Pretty flowers and interesting looking tomatoes, never heard of zebra tomatoes before. MMM Pesto, what did you make with your pesto???
ReplyDeleteFor dinner last night, I made pesto pasta, baked eggplant slices from Trader Joe's and a second vegetable. I spent too much time blogging and didn't have time to fix the meat... So, tonight it's something with ground turkey. Don't have a clue yet... but it's chilly enough for soup.
DeleteYour garden is still doing so well. My gave up the ghost last month and now that the weather has cooled a bit I need to head out there and started cleaning it out. I am finally feeling like my old self again and coming out of an over committed fog. Never again (I hope). I am learning to say no...I hope you are enjoying the rain as we are in So Cal. Patty
ReplyDeleteNever heard of those tomatoes either. "Our tomatoes" didn't do so well - in fact I think we had about 8 of them if that. Next year better be better! Jerry's Mom gives us plenty of them as well as potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, green beans, pumpkin, and other goodies from her garden - that we all helped with.
ReplyDeleteLovely pictures. I have tried saving seeds from vegetables too. I find if you wash the seeds, put them on paper towel they stick, you can then tear them in strips already to plant them in pots with the paper still on as this just disappears after a short while. It worked really well with tomato seeds. Hope this helps. I am your latest follower and will call again, you are welcome to visit me in the orchard.
ReplyDeleteLove your header..Your pictures are gorgeous as usual...We haven't had any frost yet but it's finally starting to cool down and we're getting a little rain..finally
ReplyDeletebeautiful..I love your banner alot too
ReplyDeletethe witch joke in you back car window would be funny (:)
hehe-- oh yes Pinterest is where I found the cocoa..eyes
ReplyDeletelove Pinterest..a zillion ideas !!
love your banner ..
thanks on my blog background (:)
hehe..puppies are tons of work..for sure(:)
ReplyDeletemy 6&4
year old grandsons..they are having fun with their new puppy(:)