Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Let's Pretend To Love Summer


  
Our local weather man 
forecast temps up to 115 today.




 We're not exactly enjoying it.
(smile)
Last nights low temp stayed in the eighties.
It's already over 100 degrees
 and it's not even noon yet.


The good news:
We're going to have a cool spell
starting Saturday where it will get down
to 102*F.
Yahoo! Now that's something 
to look forward to.    




I recently read this.
All I can say is:
Try to eat locally grown produce,
 hopefully organic, non GMO,
and be careful of where your meat comes 
from.   Especially ground beef. 
We eat ground turkey, but who
knows if it's any cleaner or safer..
or healthier.  (I'm hopeful.)

If you do decide to have a hamburger
or eat at the world wide fast food chains
go to In & Out Burger and stay away
from the clown, the colonel, and the king.
I already felt that way anyway.
Enough said.  

I tried to wash my mind clean
 by reading this.



I loved the first book I read
  from Frances Mayes.
It was 'Under The Tuscan Sun'.

I found myself skimming certain parts
of this one that I didn't find interesting.
I thought her descriptions of some 
religious art work and her trips to see it
got rather long winded.
I also felt I needed to have a dictionary 
nearby to translate unfamiliar words,
and they weren't Italian words either. 
I kept track of them on a napkin
to look up later.

I missed reading her second book
'Bella Tuscany'.
After reading reviews on Amazon
 this morning,  I think I'll skip it.
By the way, the book images are
from Amazon's web site.

  Have you read her books?
What did you think?


I'm just starting to read
'City of Women'.
It's not lighthearted,
but then I'm not expecting it to be.
It's about women
 in Berlin during WWII.

So, what are you reading this summer?
Besides blogs? (smile)


7 comments:

  1. Liking your seagull header. Seagulls facinate me anyways, them and pelcans. Not doing much reading of books. I have a lot of books but mostly just read the blogs (smile), Cookbooks I like to read and trying the recipe.

    It's been nice weather here in the high 70's and low 80's but I suppose your hot weather will be coming our way in a few days....uge, not looking forward to it. My stepfather lives in Vegas....it's always in the 3 digets, but a more dryer heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, I like reading cookbooks as well. I have a few next to my chair that I haven't had the chance to get back to.
      We usually have dry heat, but we're being influenced by a tropical flow from the south. Ugg.

      Delete
    2. P.S. It's 114 degrees... oh my.

      Delete
    3. Let me embellish that, it's 114 degrees with a "real feel' of 118, thanks to the humidity.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, hot doesn't even begin to describe it does it?!! Its been in the 80's here with a LOT of rain.

    I might give Every Day Tuscany a try.
    I finally finished all of Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series. (12 books I think)
    Took YEARS, but I'm now ready for the series to start on Hallmark later this month.
    I also read Gone Girl which I enjoyed. I'm loving Bloglovn' for reading blogs on my phone. Super easy to keep up.

    Try to stay cool.. seriously. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading Starting Now Debbie MacCombers lates Blossom Street novel. On to a new author Lisa Scottline she writes books with a mystery to them. I just finished Look Again and am now half way thru Save Me. There was one other that I read but cant think of the name of it. Patty I like any books that have to do with WW2 so will look for City of Women. I may be able to put it on my Nook from the library if they have it. We have a hugh used book store about an hour and 15 minutes from here and go there every once in awhile and load up on books we turn in any we have for a credit there. Its been rainy here on and off all week so not a good time to go out on the boat we were going to try and go out on Friday there is 30% chance of rain. At least the temps are cooler here high 70's mid to high 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading about 3 books - I rotate them. I really enjoy Francine Rivers's books, I am reading one now, I have liked every book of hers that I have read.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.