Sunday, June 30, 2013

Get Jammin' Nectarine ~ Plum Jam


 Santa Rosa plums from our own trees.


It's time to make some jam.
I use a recipe from the August 1977
issue of Better Homes And Gardens.
I've been making this jam since the 
summer of 2000, and it's one of my
favorite recipes for homemade jam.


Our nectarines are no where near ripe,
so I had to use store bought ones.

I had a hard time finding 
'low sugar' pectin this time.
It's necessary for this recipe and the 
spiced tomato jam recipe I use. 



I went to three stores before 
finding the low sugar variety of pectin. 
Naturally it was at one of the upscale 
grocery stores known for it's great
customer service.


You'll also need a lemon.


Here's the fruit,  pectin, water,
 lemon peel and juice, and butter
cooking to a full rolling boil.
See the color change 
as soon as you add the sugar.



There's probably some chemistry magic
going on in there.


The jars are cooling after being processed 
in a water bath for 10 minutes.


Here's the sample jar holding
the excess from the saucepan.


Ah, the sweet/tart taste of 
summer sunshine captured in a jar.

Here's the recipe:

Nectarine~Plum Jam
2 cups chopped, pitted nectarines
2 cups chopped, pitted plums
1 3/4-ounce package powdered
fruit pectin for lower-sugar recipes
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon butter
3 1/2 cups sugar
In a large saucepan mix fruit,
pectin, water, lemon peel, juice,
and butter or margarine; cook
over medium~high heat, stirring
constantly, till mixture comes to a 
full rolling boil (one that can't be
stirred down).  This takes about 5
minutes.  Add sugar; return to full 
rolling boil, stirring constantly. (This
takes 5 to 7 minutes.)  Remove from
heat; skim off foam.  Ladle at once
into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, 
leaving 1/4-inch headspace.  Wipe
rims; adjust lids.  Process in a boiling-
water bath 10 minutes (start timing
when water returns to boiling).
Makes 5 half-pints.

5 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy..I had some home made strawberry jam yesterday..Just the best..I read your windows/roof post..Expensive for sure but you'll love them..They'll probably be clean when they're installed :).... After that they're up for grabs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm those jam pictures look delish!!! I've made wild plum jam.....oh so good. When we lived in the country 20+ years ago, there were wild plum trees growing around the old school house, free for the picking. Gosh those were the good old days.......we ate well. Also had wild raspberries in the ditches and blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is literally watering, that looks so delicious! Lovely pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous(:)
    oh yes 117 degrees is borderline dangerous!!!!
    maybe over the border!!
    try and keep kool..stay in the AC Areas like me (:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! There is now way I would have the patience to do it.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.