Sunday, July 21, 2013

Nursery Visit Part 2


Back to the nursery.


I had to look the name of this one up;
it's Scaevola.



Seeing this Veronica spicata 'red fox'
makes me want to try growing it  again.


I purchased the gallon size
which was a bit expensive,


and it up and died. 


Penstemons.


This pudgy little hummingbird
was zipping around everywhere
snatching gnats in midair.


Chocolate cosmos.
It really does smell like sweet chocolate.


I had one at our Napa home,
and would like to have another here.
They had it in the filtered shade section,
but in Napa (milder climate) it grew in the sun.
 I wish I could have found it in a smaller, 
less expensive size.


Columbine 'Woodside Gold'
for brightening up shade gardens.



This is extremely high on the 
wish list, but it would also 
have to be put down on the lawn
area with new garden beds surrounding it...
I'm sure that's not something my 
dear sweet 'you know who' would
like to hear right now, what with 
all the projects going on around here.
His 'to do' home improvement 
list is non stop lately.



I like seeing what plant combinations
are used for the large pots.


This is Abutilon pictum 'Mardi Gras'.
I see it has beautiful blooms after 
searching for the correct spelling online.


More potted plant combo's.


This one is my favorite.


Lastly some more bee photos,


Just because I love them.



10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info..This is the time of year when pots are going to pot and one can't find anything decent to redo them with..Esp with all the heat we've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it's been too hot here also. I find that a diluted mix of fish emulsion fertilizer is good for potted plants, feeding them every other week. The daily watering on pots leaches out the necessary nutrients for the plants. I notice my plants turning yellow which reminds me that they need feeding.

      Delete
  2. I love that fountain and the way you describe what you would like done with it, sounds beautiful. Just put it on the "Honey doo list" Course I am into fountains this year with my fountain in the backyard and on the front porch, love the sound of water trickling.

    We bought 2 new perennials this weekend....will plant them and take pictures later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending time in the garden, especially in the mornings before the heat sets in, is my favorite time of the day.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are beautiful. I especially love the color.

      Delete
  4. Such beauty in all your photo's. Love the garden tour. What is the flower in your header on the far left? I planted one of those last year and can't remember what it is called. It is blooming right along side my red crocosmia and compliments it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That flower is from the Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue'. I have mine in pots.


      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_guaranitica

      Delete
  5. oh that birdy with the petal hat is one of my fav pics(:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another beautiful post - what beautiful flowers! I love this time of year,

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.