Friday, August 17, 2012

What's Blooming Now


My zinnia's have 
started blooming.
Yes, they're late
but I didn't get the
seeds in the ground 
  until late June. 



"Think small. 
 Planting tiny seeds
 in the small space given 
you can change the whole world or, 
at the very least, 
your view of it."

-  Linus Mundy 


These have had a tough time
getting started.  First of all,
they're planted in a garden that
has morning filtered sun/shade,
and then a blast of heat and full sun
from the afternoon on.
I wish that could be the other 
way around, but it's not to be.


Then there's Liberty.
She loved plowing through, 
and playing
keep away in the middle
 of the garden. 
 She absolutely loved
running with abandon
 and chewing off the buds.
She enjoyed
pulling whole plants 
out of the ground,
roots and all.
She eats drip irrigation lines...

Now the garden within the new
fenced area is also fenced.
She no longer has easy  access,
and neither do we.  But the 
plants are finally blooming.


The orange cosmos have 
started blooming as well.
The plants are volunteers from
seeds I planted here 10 or so years ago.
I originally got the seeds from a 
farmer's produce stand that we 
used to visit when we lived in Napa.
He raised flowers for cut yourself
bouquets.  His prices were terrific
and I really miss stopping by there on our
way home from the base.


I spied a tomato that set.
With the heat we've been 
having, the flowers are just 
falling off.  But this one 
managed to hang in there... 
Yeah!  There may just
be a tomato to harvest after all.

Our days have been 
hot~hot~hot
and smoke from the 
wildfires surrounding us
has filled the valley.
It's been a very uncomfortable
week here in the north state.
Hopefully next week will be better.

Take care 
and have a terrific weekend.





5 comments:

  1. So glad some of your zinnia's survived, they must be an easy flower to grow to withstand a froliking puppy. I have never planted zinnias, I always think of them too late but if you got yours to grow in less that 3 months than maybe next year I will give them a try.

    Paige destroyed (pulled right out of the ground) my one and only cucumber plant that made it this year. I got 2 cucumbers off of it before it was destroyed. What really got me was to see all the blossoms with promises of a good cucumber crop on the vines. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite a rough start, they're still pretty! I especially love the orange cosmos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos..Sorry that you are still dealing with that fire mess..It's starting to cool off here..In the 80's..Thank heaven...Have a wonderful weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gravensteins oh yes they make the best dessert(:)
    Love all the pretty flowers and the new weather map (:)
    hugs..Patty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must call my brother Kenny and ask if the fires are around him. I think if they were he would have called. But Kenny is Kenny. Anyway, I am glad you are safe from it.

    WOW what beautiful flowers! Too bad you had to fence them in, I guess that is the cost of a dog in the family - I am sure it is worth it.

    Today our weather was perfect! At least I got outside for an hour or more. Had to work this morning. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.