Friday, May 4, 2012

Camera Fun





My iris are doing well this year.


The March rains really helped
getting the plants tall and lush.
They do so much better with 
natural rainfall rather than the
treated water from the hose.


After such a dry winter,
we were blessed with some much
needed rainfall that not only
nourished the plants, 
but filled the lake as well.
Today's lake level,
is 3.30 feet from the crest.
Woo Hoo!!!


On May Day,  I went up to the dam
to take photos.  Photos of the lake
full of water are kind of rare.
Our lake is known to have
a 'bathtub ring' as it is drawn
down  for irrigation, water supplies for 
towns and cities, 
and hydro electric power.

I'll have those photos posted soon,
as well as the ones from the potluck
last month where I cooked the main course.


When we were kids, my mom would
create May Day bouquets to hang on 
our friends/neighbors  front door knobs.
I didn't pass along that tradition,
but I should remember to do so
with the grand kids.


Today is a special day for Star Wars fans.
It's May 4th. 


May the fourth be with you.
(crickets)
Oh, I know it's dumb, but I heard that 
on the radio early this morning about
4:30 AM.  It seemed funny at the time,
and I thought I should share.
~
Why yes, I am a fan of Star Wars.




Our weekend plans:
We need to do some
weed whacking  on the hillsides and along
the driveway down to the the pole barn. 
The paddock also needs mowed down 
with the weed whackers.
We use the 'barn' for storage.
It's small and not worthy of
being called a barn, but that's 
what we call it.
The prior owners had horses to
keep the grass down.


But we have weed whackers.
We used to have a horse.
We're not going down that 
rabbit hole again.
I loved it but SnowJazz
took priority over too many other needs.


Rick hopes to finish the hillside
garden bed so that we can get it planted.
Rick's mom and her husband will be
back on the eighth.  I'd like to have
it planted by then to show her that 
we did make progress.
Especially since she helped
 shovel the stinky mushroom compost
from the truck into a wheel barrel.




Anita asked how I got the 
dragon fly photo in the prior post.


The dragon fly was just hanging out 
on the tip of the cherry tree branch 
 in early April.

  
I had time to take several
photos from different angles
before he took flight.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Besides chores, I hope we get 
to get out on the lake for a little while.
It's beautiful out there with the lake
full, and I want to take advantage of 
the views.

Remember tomorrow's full moon is
supposed to be spectacular.

 "On Saturday, May 5, the moon will reach perigee — the closest it gets to the Earth as it makes its elliptical orbit around the planet — meaning the moon will be about 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than the other full moons of 2012, according to Tony Phillips of Science@NASA."



6 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pictures. What kind of camera do you use? I hope to be able to purchase a new camera in the next few months but want one that is fairly easy navigate but takes really nice photo's. What photo editing program do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are straight out of the camera with only a bit of cropping. My camera is a Nikon D5000. I don't have any photography skills as far as knowing about lighting and aperture. I think it's a great camera that is easy for a beginning photographer. We purchased it at Costco a few years ago. It came with an extra lens for long range and a camera bag. I love using it. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Lovely flower pics Patricia. Love the dragon fly also. I guess ya'll will be plenty busy with all the yard work. Enjoy the lake if you can.
    I heard that about the moon.. pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photography skills amaze me! You have got that "eye" woman. Those pictures are just downright gorgeous! We have some beautiful Iris flowers around our house - just purple though. I talked to Jerry about getting different colors, we just haven't done it. After seeing your beautiful yellow ones - I want some. :)

    Looking forward to seeing your lake pictures! "May the Force Be With You" - that is Star Wars right? Or is that the other one Star Trek. Oh well you get the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Patricia! My yard is full of iris' They are so pretty. Lake up! Hooray for rain!!

      Delete
    2. Isn't it great! This is the third year in a row having a nearly full lake. I'he heard that it is quite unusual. I am loving it.

      Delete

It is so nice to hear from you.