Wednesday, May 2, 2012

April Chores ~


April is our last month
to burn debris for the season. 


So besides everything else
that needs to be done in the spring time,
this work is a priority. 


I spent a lot of time outdoors in April, 
raking leaves away from fence
lines, gathering fallen limbs,
and burning off as much as I could
to maintain the fire clearance we're 
supposed to have.


Rick had to take down a  young Ponderosa  Pine
that died over the winter.  Our property
is steep, and it's mostly hillside.
That makes every chore out there even harder.



 The tree contained an abandoned 
squirrel nest from last spring. 
I didn't find any evidence that 
they were using it again.
It would have been horrible
to bring down an active nest. 
  

I've also been keeping an eye on the crows
nest on the other side of the property.
The hawks are back to their nesting
area just up the hill.   I think I've seen
  the crows flying away from their
nest to distract the hawks away from the area.
I'm not positive, but I think so.


The bees and butterflies did their
job and there's lots of little cherries 
growing on the tree.  It's a sour cherry
tree suitable for cherry pies if there's enough.
The squirrels love the cherries and even I 
like them fresh,  even if they are sour.




This visitor isn't very handsome,
but the lacy pattern on it's wings is
way cool. 

Answers to the last posts questions.

Connie:
  Yes we're anxious to get our puppy home.
We haven't picked out a name yet, but there's 
several possibilities to choose from. We have
five or six weeks to wait.  In the meantime
we'll be getting ready for the new pup. We'll
need everything, as we gave away all of Brinkley's
belongings after we lost him.
  
Anita:
   My girlfriend road trip.  We're going 
over to Trinidad on the coast.  I know, it's 
not a new place to explore, but we all love it
there and it's only three or so hours away.
We aren't camping this time, and there will
be no M&M's to feed the raccoons.  How fun
was that camping trip of ours... Memories!

  Cathy, 
You should get a pup.
(evil grin)
I know it's going to be a tough
adjustment caring for a puppy.
I need someone to commiserate with.
Connie, my blogger friend above 
has a new puppy and we just want to
spread the floppy eared joy....

Amy, 
 Thank you so much for 
taking the time to send me the 
crochet pattern.  I think your purse is
wonderful.  How many hours do you
think it took you to crochet it?  
I'll see my senior friends tomorrow 
and plan to have the pattern and photo
of your purse printed out.



OK then, I think I'm done
with this blog post.
Take care.



3 comments:

  1. You have been very busy, I'll bet the chores never end.

    That picture of the dragon fly is amazing. The wings seem to defy nature, they don't look like they could keep anything in flight.

    I can't wait for your new puppy adventures begin...or maybe misery loves company(?), I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm.. now you have me thinking about cherry pie.. sounds good.

    I'm not sure how many hours it took to crochet the purse.. but I did finish it in less than a week, doing it in my spare time if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great pictures you posted. I actually like that winged bug the best - how did you do that? You do have such beautiful property, but I imagine a lot of work and so worth it. Reminds me so much of Shingletown.

    I am looking forward to pictures of the puppy too and what he tears up. :) They too are worth it; what joy and fun he will bring!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.