You know how when you're browsing
through magazines and a recipe catches
your interest. So it gets stuck somewhere
in your subconscious and then when
you're at the store something reminds you
of that recipe.
I was at Costco, and saw the whole
chickens... which you have to purchase two of.
They reminded me that I wanted to try a
Thai roast chicken recipe.
So, I did purchase two whole
chickens which I haven't done in quite
awhile because it's just the two of us.
Individually frozen breast or thigh pieces
are a better deal for us since we don't necessarily
like eating chicken for three or four
meals in a row from just one chicken.
I went to another store intending
to purchase cilantro and cream of coconut,
and promptly forgot to look for
cream of coconut
after not finding it in the Thai food section.
The red Thai chilies
completely skipped my mind.
~~~
Rick calls me before heading home
for the night after work. He most always
asks if there's anything I need from down town.
This time I did have a request.
Cream of Coconut ~ and told him it probably
was in the liquor department.
So, he stopped at a regular upscale grocery store
to find it because that expensive store happens to be on the way home
... and they didn't have it.
Even the ever so helpful clerk couldn't find it.
The recipe didn't get tried that week.
Meanwhile,
we ate chicken for days and days...
So anyway, the following week
we get the news that we're going to have
company. I don't usually try new
recipes for company, but I made an exception
since I had willing victims family members
to help eat up another chicken.
We found the cream of coconut at the
less expensive ~ no customer service
type store. I needed 1/2 cup of this
liquid gold ~ just saying it was expensive ~
and the can is a whopping 15 ounces.
After stirring the heavy thick solids
back into the rest of the creamy liquid,
and measuring out my 1/2 cup for the recipe,
I promptly tipped the rest of the can
over on the counter.... ack... That stuff
is expensive, so I scooped up what
spilled into a refrigerator container
and saved it for a few days.
I added it to a recipe for coconut rice pudding.
Oh my gosh, was that ever good and
so was this chicken.
The coconut cream really moistened
the chicken and even the breast meat
stayed tender and moist. I should have used
the red chilies as that bit of heat
would have been perfect I think.
Plus don't forget the salt.
It's needed to keep this from being too bland.
It's needed to keep this from being too bland.
Next time I will skip using the two extra limes
that the chicken is supposed to roast on top of.
That seemed to be a waste to me.
I'm also going to use a wire rack so the
chicken won't be stewing in it's
own juices so the speak.
Thai flavors probably aren't for everyone.
But just in case you want to experiment,
here's the recipe from Country Living magazine.
Thai Roast Chicken
serves 4
Working time 20 minutes
Total time 1 hour 45 minutes.
1/2 cup cream of coconut (such as Coco Goya)
Zest and juice of 2 limes;
plus 2 limes sliced.
1 bunch of fresh cilantro chopped (about 1 cup)
2 red chiles
(such as Thai bird's eye or chiles de arbol)
1 (3 1/4 pound) chicken
Salt
( I'm pretty sure I forgot to add salt
as it wasn't listed with the ingredients.)
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Using a food processor, blend cream of coconut, lime zest and juice, cilantro, chiles, and one teaspoon salt to a smooth paste. Starting at the chicken's neck, slide hands under skin to loosen skin on breasts and thighs. With a sharp knife, slash each thigh twice. Spread paste between loosened skin and meat. Rub any extra paste into thighs.
2. Lay lime slices on bottom of roasting pan and set prepared chicken on top. Cover with foil and roast for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil and baste chicken. Return chicken to oven un covered, and roast basting occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of a thigh registers 165*F. 30 to 40 minutes more. Remove chicken from oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
Here's the fine print that I didn't read before hand.
*** If cream of coconut's unavailable, substitute canned coconut milk. Chill can for 30 minutes, then pour of the thinner liquid and use thick cream at bottom of can.
Have a great weekend!
I'll be back with answers to questions
about Shasta Lake next week.
We're heading out the door
on our way to see a Lion Dance
to welcome in the Chinese New Year.
Since Weaverville ~ the town we're heading to
is almost half way to the coast,
we've decided we might as well
go all the way to Trinidad as well.
Woo Hoo!
Road trip time!,
Road trip time!,
and I remembered to charge the
battery in my camera.


I love Thai and I am going to make this dish. Guess I'd better invite my son and daughter in love over to help us eat it.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see your pictures from Weaverville. I like it there. Never been to Trinidad.
Thanks for the recipe!
Wow, you really must be some cook!!! I need to start making new recipes, I have even found a few that I want to try. Now, to just do it. Keep motivating me by posting those delicious pictures of food. I don't think I will be making this recipe, out of my league.
ReplyDeleteI will be looking forward to seeing picture of Weaverville and the coast!!!
What a great recipe.. the chicken looks so good.
ReplyDeleteHope your enjoying your road trip!
That Thai Chicken looks divine. Love the added ingredients and coconut milk is really good for you. Hope you had a fun road trip.
ReplyDeleteI had the stove top in my trailer powder coated by the manufacturing place across the street. You can use drive train paint found at auto stores, as it is good up to 500 degrees. Wish I had known about it before I did it but it wasn't too expensive.
Your chicken recipe and finished product sound divine. I have never really cooked anything Thai before. Maybe I need to broaden my skills and give that a try.
ReplyDeleteI hope your road trip was fabulous.
I didn't want to mention too many of my guilty pleasures in my last post but I am equally addicted to Big Brother and Survivor. And I can't foret American Idol, The Voice, The X Factor and So You Think You Can Dance. I thought it might be a little over the top and confirm the state of my sanity.