Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Weaverville Joss House State Historic Park

We didn't expect this weekend
would be as much of an education
as it turned out to be.


"The Temple of the Forest Beneath the Clouds"



We visited three historic state parks
here in the north state,
all of which are on the closure list
due to budget cuts.


We live in a rural part of CA
without the population (visitor funding) 
needed to keep these parks open.


Each park has an association working
toward funding the parks beyond the
meager state funds to keep these historic
parks open to the public.
The parks are already operating with reduced hours.
They are due to close July 1st.

Handing out snapper noise makers to throw on the cement after the Lion dance.

It will be a shameful mistake to close these
parks that are of such historic value.
We should be maintaining them
 for everyone to see.

Red envelopes are stuffed with donations
to be delivered to the lion's mouths for good luck.


 Politicians were there in support
of keeping the state parks funded.
~
Assembly member Wesley Chesbro 
(He's on the state budget committee.) 
 Holding the microphone:
Assemblywoman Fiona Ma
from San Francisco donated $5000.
 for keeping the Joss House open.
I think it's going to be an uphill battle
because they~we need $80,000 by April
to keep just this one park open.


Look at this little Lion dancer.

The search for the greens.


After 'eating' the greens,

they are tossed towards the audience
for wealth and good fortune.


After the dance,
everyone was invited to watch
  firecrackers explode in an area
away from the crowd.

Then to the courtyard for
jasmine green tea,
Chinese cookies, mandarins,
and Chinese candy.

I found these blossoms in the courtyard.

The following link takes you to
a short video about Joss House,
including images from inside the temple. 
I didn't take photos on the inside.
It felt a bit disrespectful to do so,
 especially when there were visitors from China offering incense and prayers during the time we were inside.

2 comments:

  1. That was lovely.
    What a sad thing to think about closing these parks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find it SAD about the PARKS!!! I can remember when they shut down Lassen Park when I was back there. I knew they re-opened it for awhile - don't know if it closed or not now.

    I have got to read your posts more often. Once a week just doesn't cut it. :) Just seeing your pictures - well I have told you often that I really love them.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.