After visiting the Joss House
in Weaverville we headed across
the street for a delicious Chinese lunch
and a little more hot tea to warm up with.
I did forget to mention
in my last post
that the Joss House
is the oldest continuously used
Chinese temple in California.
The first temple building was
destroyed by fire in 1861.
Wildfires raged again in 1873, and
once again destroyed the Taoist temple.
Construction on the current Joss House
was started in February 1874.
I was rather fond of these fortunes.
They seemed very appropriate to
a certain situation going on in
my circle of friends,
but never mind about that.
*Edited to add:
Showing my cookie fortunes
wasn't meant to slam a friend
who reads this post.
Receiving these particular fortunes
was just perfect timing. That's all.
The fortune I received from the temple was:
Bei Di, High Northern Emperor No. 40
Extremely good fortune
Han Xiangzi
The wild swan soars up to the sky,
and attains his freedom;
In such a time of joy and celebration,
his spirits are high.
Today he finds carefree ease in the ascent;
Gliding, flying, he tops the nine-fold heaven.
Isn't that pretty?
Going to the coast was sort of
a spur of the moment idea.
I know I really ~ really wanted to
see the Lion Dance, especially after
knowing that it's possibly the last one
to be performed at the Joss House
for who knows how long if the
state closes the park.
So Thursday night we decided
to go, and hey, we might as
well go all the way to the coast
since Weaverville is half way.
Well ~~~ It was a good way of psyching
ourselves into going to the coast
for just one night because
actually Weaverville is
only one third of the way across
the mountains to the coast.
But it was so worth it ~
to enjoy this misty
cold morning view
of Trinidad Bay.
We don't usually visit Trinidad
in the middle of winter.
We usually head there durring
the summer to escape the valley heat.
October is actually a good
month to visit the coast. It isn't the rainy
season yet, and the summer fog has
gone away.
This is the Trinidad Bay Bed and Breakfast Inn.
Wouldn't this be a beautiful place to stay?
It's right across the street from the lighthouse.
Rick checked on Friday
and they didn't have rooms.
Thank goodness:
I just saw how much they charge per night. Yikes!
* edited to add:
Rick says they have winter rates. Yay!
We stayed at the Trinidad Inn, the same
place we did last time. Here's the blog
post done last summer about the Trinidad Inn.
Here's a neighbor out for his
morning ride.
How about that?
Here's a closer look from behind.
I'm thinking that's a pretty cool ride
for Seniors.
Even this cat on the roof is
seeking out the morning sun.
Next post:
We're down to the beach
watching a couple of
lucky locals enjoying their
morning run.
Here's one last look at the light house replica.
The actual lighthouse looks the same
and is located on the ocean side of the
peninsula to the right hand side of this photo.


You did it again - you always bring delightful joy when I read and see your beautiful pictures you post! I especially like the cat one on the roof, but I like them all! The fortune cookie was very cool! I like to read the fortunes too when I go out to eat Chinese. Jerry thinks they are silly but I have read some really profound ones.Like the one you posted! My dear friend keep sharing your trips - with pictures and your words!
ReplyDelete