Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Not Quite Finished With That Coastal Trip.


These  flowering quince blooms
 are from a family members house 
that we're keeping watch over while
they're away for a month to spend
time  in Arizona.

I just had to snip a couple of 
 the branches while we were there. 

Here they are tucked them into a pint sized
dairy bottle found at the local market
over in Trinidad. 
We needed creamer for our 
morning coffee in the hotel room.
These are my kind of souvenirs.
I purchased one on a prior trip,
and then another on this trip.

I think these dairy bottles would
look cute lined up on a counter
or table with some flowers tucked inside.
Let's see, it will take me  awhile
to get  ~ a half dozen of these bottles.
One per trip ~ Yeah,
sounds like an excuse to get to the coast...

Dear husband,
 I need more dairy bottles.




While we were over in Eureka
we stopped to visit Fort Humboldt
State Historic Park.
Yes, it is also on the park closure list.



The larger building is the hospital,
and the smaller home was the surgeons quarters.
The ocean is visible between the roofs of the two 
buildings on the right.  The hospital 
was damaged during an earthquake in December.
It has roof damage and I think it lost a chimney.
The building has been emptied 
and is closed to the public.
I'm not sure if there are efforts there in Eureka
to raise funds to keep the park open
during our states budget problems.
~~~
The desertion rate was high at Fort Humboldt.
Between the cold foggy summers, and the
incessant winter rains, the living conditions
were cold and rather miserable.
The lure of the gold rush was tempting as well.



  There's a short walk in the park with 
information signs posted along the way.
From one of those signs
we learned that Ulysses S. Grant 
was stationed here.
~~~~~ 
 Driven from Duty * 
source here:


"Ulysses S. Grant was the commanding general 
of the Union forces during the Civil War
 and later served two terms as 
President of the United States.
 He was stationed at Fort Humboldt
 for 4-5 months and may
have lived in one of the captains quarters. 
Life here was boring for the 
young, energetic officer.
 He missed his family in Missouri
 and felt that his Army career 
was at a standstill.
 In the summer of 1854, 
Grant was asked to resign
 by the Fort's commander, 
Lt.Col. Robert Buchannon, 
or face a court martial for a
 possible charge of being
"drunk on duty."  
Buchannon and Grant had
served together before
 and were known to be bitter rivals. 
This was just one of the incidents 
that led to the myth of
Grant being a hard drinking man.
He resigned and went home 
to try his hand at farming
until 1861 when the Civil War 
called him back to duty."
~~~~~

I don't suppose he'd be 
elected in today's political climate.



We had a  slightly frustrating time 
trying to find this Maritime Museum. 
  We were using our  phone's
GPS and map locator to find it,   
 only to drive past the building
and not 'see' it.

All along, there  it was at the north
end of the parking lot
right next to the Samoa Cookhouse.

I think we were expecting
 to find a larger building.
It was closed for the Sunday morning
we were there, but it looked interesting
none the less.  Maybe next time
we'll get to explore inside.






I thought you'd like to see 
the rest of the bell buoy.


That little sign says:
Bell Buoy
Entering Humboldt Bay,
as well as most harbors, 
The bell buoy is the 
second coming from the ocean.
The first is the 'Sea Buoy'
or 'Whistle Buoy'.




 The initials stand for
 United States Light House Service.



That's it for today,
I've got to get out of this office 
chair before I'm anchored here...








4 comments:

  1. Those blooms are gorgeous.. and that little bottle is so sweet.
    Nice little tour you gave us as well. This is going to sound funny, but
    I've never seen a buoy out of the water, and I didnt realize how large they are. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how big they were either. I would like to know how they are anchored to the ocean floor and how they handle the tide swell.

      Delete
  2. I liked this tour as well - as all of your tours. Yes, indeed that buoy was HUGE!!! Of course we saw anchors in the Navy... :) Yes, I will say it again, I loved those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, Patricia, great photographs and content.
    California is a wonderful state, many variations in every faucet.

    Dairy bottles. I could display knitting needles or crochet hooks.
    and of course, spring blooms.
    hugs
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.