Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Soup's On


Last night,
after sunset,
the sky lit up
with lightning,
the thunder
rolled,
 it poured rain,
and hailed for a short while.

Mother Nature
put on quite a show.


It's kind of scary,
because  we're in the middle
of fire season here.

It did spark several vegetation fires
but so far, nothing too serious.



Source <--- link here
 Photo from our local news channel.

I was staying inside
safe and in awe.


We're expecting more of the
same this evening.



These garden vegetable
 photos were taken
a month ago. 
 I'm still working on
my summer posts,
and yes ~~~

It's still summer here,
and will be for quite some
time despite the calender's
march towards fall. 

Apparently 
Fall starts in 10 days.


These peppers~
mild yellow banana and hot jalapeno,
had a sheen of their very own.

Photo below:
Home grown edamame,
(soybeans) boiled in
salted water, and then
sprinkled with sea salt.


They're so good when
fresh from the garden.
I still have a small zip~baggy
of shelled edamame in the freezer.
I should have added them to the soup ~
   
Oh yeah,
this post was supposed
to be about the soup
I made last night.
This recipe isn't
going to be an exact measure kind of
deal here.  I just used what I had
available from the garden, pantry closet,
 and the freezer.
You can use whatever you have as well.

My Soup:
In a large soup pot
saute 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
(cut into bite sized cubes) in a
bit of olive oil. 
Add one minced garlic clove.
Sprinkle liberally with salt free
Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute*,
dried basil  and oregano.

I would have added chopped onion,
but didn't have any.

I did add
4 peeled and sliced carrots
2 stalks of celery, sliced
about 10 mushrooms (baby bellas)
lots of sliced okra from the garden (15 maybe).

Meanwhile ~ Everything is cooking in the pot
while adding more and more ingredients.

From the freezer
I added
some frozen peas, 
 French green beans
and some  sweet corn.
No measuring, just add what you
think will be enough.

 Have you tried Trader Joe's
frozen haricot verts?
They're the next best thing
to home grown haricot verts. (French green beans)
I just went downstairs
to make sure I was spelling
haricot verts correctly,
and brought up a bowl of soup
for breakfast... oh yes I did.

OK then,
I chopped up 4 fresh from the garden
tomatoes and threw them into the pot.
That pot is getting almost full now.
Add chicken stock to cover, and
then remember to add some
fresh Seven Cheese Tortellini
pressing them down into the liquid.
Add more chicken stock to cover
up the new ingredients.

Now, cook for 5 minutes,
or 10 minutes,
 if you're going to
eat right away.
I cooked it for 5 minutes
and then turned the burner off
and let the covered pot sit for
half an hour while waiting for Rick to
get home.  That way the tortellini
doesn't overcook and become mushy.

There you have it.
You can add other ingredients
like a can of rinsed, drained kidney
beans.  Then you can call it
Minestrone/tortellini soup.
Wouldn't sliced zucchini be a good
addition? I didn't have any.

Oh well, Make it your own.
I think some home baked garlic bread sticks
like those at Olive Garden would be seriously
good with this soup. 
No, I didn't make those either...

*Oh and that Trader Joe's
21 Seasoning Salute.
I am happy with this salt free spice blend.
It would make good stocking stuffers
for the cooks in your family.

For comparison purposes in case you can't
get to a Trader Joe's, here are the ingredients.

onion, black pepper, celery seed,
cayenne pepper, parsley, basil,
marjoram, bay leaf, oregano,
thyme, savory, rosemary,
cumin, mustard, coriander,
 garlic, carrot, orange peel,
 tomato granules, lemon juice powder,
oil of lemon, and citric acid

You read all that?
Wow, high five to you.

You get extra points for
seeing that there were
22 ingredients in the
21 Seasoning Salute. 

4 comments:

  1. Your photos are just awesome!!! Don't blame you, lightning storms are not my kind of thing either! But I would love to get a shot of one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup sounds delish. And those photo's of the veggies...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVED the storm last night! Our two BIG DOGS whined and hid under the desk and behind the bed. My little maltese just looked at them with a "What." look on her face.
    I will try that soup later when it is cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beautiful photos...such fantastic colors! Thanks for stopping by my blog...those are my favs too.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.