Long ago,
back in our Navy Days,
we were stationed in San Diego (1978).
Oh how lucky we were
to have family close by in
Chula Vista. We had a standing
invitation to have Sunday dinner
at Rick's Uncle and Aunt's house.
Sunday dinner
usually meant there was a ham in the oven,
along with Aunt Ruth's home made
macaroni and cheese.
This old fashioned cake
was one of her favorites.
Oatmeal Cake ~ from Aunt Ruth.
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup 3~minute oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir Oats in boiling water, let stand 20 minutes.
Cream sugars and butter together,
add eggs and oatmeal mixture.
Sift dry ingredients.
Add to sugar/butter/egg/oatmeal mixture.
Pour into a greased 9x13~inch pan.
Bake at 325*F. for 35 to 45 minutes.
Just before the cake is done,
make the topping.
In a sauce pan,
measure
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup brown sugar.
Boil about 2 minutes,
then add
1/2 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts, your choice)
1 can coconut = 3 1/2 ounce = 1/1/3 cup loose pack
and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Spread onto cake (still in pan)
and return to oven for 10 minutes.
Let cool in pan.
Here have a bite.
Yeah, it's buttery good.
I make it once every
10 years or so.
It's something you can whip up
with ingredients from your pantry
if you happen to have nuts
and coconut on hand.
I made this one
for Sunday dinner
at our cousin's house last month.


Yum! I love finding new recipes to bake now that fall is just around the corner. This one looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteMmmm.. that looks and sounds delish!
ReplyDeleteMust you do that? ha ha. How I wanted to reach in and bite! I won't make it here because I have given up those "treats" for now. I have found by not eating them I have more energy - probably in my head. But oh that looked SOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny that I was stationed in San Diego - lived in Chula Vista before I went to Japan. The Navy sure took us to some "same places"...I still remember when we "hooked up in Japan"! Who would think that would happen.
Hey there, HLC and Amy, it is good. You wouldn't think something from such simple ingredients would turn out so good, but it does.
ReplyDeleteAnita, Yes of course I remember meeting up in Japan. We were down in Yokuska (sp?) for just a week while Rick was in some sort of training school. It was perfect timing and who whould have thought we would ever have the chance to meet up in Japan... let alone live there. We sure were a long way from our home town eh?