Sunday afternoon,
we left to explore the
northern end of the McCloud
arm of Shasta Lake.
We usually don't go too far
from our marina
on the lake in an effort
to be frugal with the gasoline.
But for camping,
I thought it would be nice to go explore
I thought it would be nice to go explore
some new places up the McCloud arm
and find a good place to camp.
~
and find a good place to camp.
~
I thought we
needed a change of scenery.
So we topped off the gas tank
at the marina pumps as our tank
at the marina pumps as our tank
was just three quarters full.
~
~
Um, gasoline on the lake
is $5.29 a gallon.
We usually take the boat off
We usually take the boat off
the lake for refueling and cleanup.
It's absolutely worth the hassle.
It's absolutely worth the hassle.
I didn't take into
consideration that the further
north we went, the steeper the
canyon walls would be with
very few (if any) suitable sites to camp.
To make a long day/story shorter,
we came back towards the main body
of the lake and ended up camping
about midway back down the McCloud.
Here's our morning view
from the back of our boat.
Notice how wonderfully still the water is.
~
Now onto Monday.
Since it was going to be a long
and hot day on the lake,
we found a quiet and shady
cove to hide out in for the afternoon.
It had its own campfire ring
and a nice flat area for chairs.
~
Yeah, the campfire ring
was forty feet or
so up the steep hillside,
and there were a lot of
annoying deer flies
hovering around our eyes,
but what ever.
Shady coves during the mid day
are few and far between.
See how private,
and sheltered we were from
the rest of the lake?
It's one of those naturally
air conditioned spots as well.
It was a 74 degrees,
rather than 100 degrees
out there in the sun.
We probably should have made
that our camping spot for the night.
Instead, we left
to find ourselves
spending the rest of the
afternoon heading back towards
the marina and not finding
any other spot worthy of spending
another night. The marina
was within sight, when we
decided to try one more area
with camping spots that the house-boaters
seem to love. It's late in the season,
so we were hopeful.
~
The houseboats were
already there and
settled in for the night.
Rather than give up and go home,
we settled on a less than
desirable site.
It was kind of pretty,
for a barren sort of space
on a hilly lake bed
area without nearby trees.
We made use of the campfire
ring at the crest of the hill,
with beautiful views of the
lake on both sides of us.
The stars were gorgeous
and it was dark enough on the lake
to see the Milky Way,
before the moon rise that is.
There's a long ~ long night
between the photo above
and the one below.
~
At one o'clock in the morning
the wind slammed into us
with a strong gust.
~
~
We were no longer anchored out
away from the shore line.
Nope, we were still tied to the
shore, but the anchor was no longer
keeping us at a comfortable
(critter free and level) position
away from the shore.
~
I couldn't sleep,
while the love of my life
had already gone back to
slept for the
rest of the night...ahem.
Meanwhile:
Wind gusts are pushing us around.
We're bumping against the sandy shore.
I'm listening to noisy waves
against said shoreline.
I'm peeking out the window screening
to see whether or not
we're heading for the rocks which
I can see clearly because of
the excessively bright moon light.
Our tent siding was flapping in the wind.
The wind was whistling (loudly)
through the trees further up the hillsides.
My brain wont shut off and
worrying sets in
about not being able to
get back to sleep.
We have very firm
Hide a Mat beds,
which make for achy hips.
The ropes straining against the cleat
tie downs on R's side of the boat
were making enough noise to
almost drown out the snoring...
~
I think I'll be in trouble when he reads
that last line.
~
I couldn't wait for daylight.
The way home
is just around the peninsula
and across an open area of the lake
where the wind has
whipped the lake into white caps...
~
Yeah, there's absolutely no place
like home.
Previous Camping Story <----- Click here
To see a very similar story
on the last time we boat camped on the lake.
It was two years ago...
No wonder
we don't spend the night
out there more often.


What beautiful scenery! Boating is so much fun, I love being on the water! I'm with ya on the hard mattress thing, this ol bod can't handle sleeping on anything that isn't soft.
ReplyDeleteAs for the gas, holy cow that's just ridiculous $5.29 a gallon, Wow they really know how to get a person!
I was really enjoying your post and all the beauty, I was even a little envious until you shared your less than perfect night. I could feel your pain; sore hips, husband snoring, wind blowing, magnified imagination, can't get back to sleep while husband snores away. Been there, done that.
ReplyDelete