I thought I might take a break from
the garden posts, although I do have
photos from this weeks garden nursery trip...
It's time to share a couple of
make ahead salads
that will be good for those long
'too hot to cook' summer days that
are rapidly approaching.
They make good additions to a potluck
gathering as well.
We have potluck once a month. It's at
the senior center where I volunteer
for the Brown Bag food giveaway
with the Shasta Senior Nutrition Program.
This months theme was a Luau,
with roast pork as the main dish.
Knowing nothing about foods for a luau,
I searched online and queried friends
who have been to Hawaii.
I was told that macaroni salads
were popular along with roast pig,
fruit salads, and anything made with
coconut or pineapple.
Just a couple days before potluck
Angela posted a recipe on her
blog Tea With Friends
that sounded just right.
The tutorial and recipe is at that link.
But here's a shortcut version of the
recipe posted for my own use.
Tea Room Macaroni Salad
1 lb. small pasta (shells or macaroni)
cooked, drained, chilled with cold running water.
1/4 cup celery chopped
1/4 cup onion chopped
2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper
2 hard boiled eggs chopped
1 small cucumber diced
1/2 cup ham chopped
1/4 cup black olives
4 tablespoons pickle relish
1 large tomato diced
Salt and Pepper
Dressing:
1/4 cup Italian dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
OK, my changes:
doubled all ingredients
except pasta, eggs, and dressing ingredients.
I used home canned zucchini relish
rather than a pickle relish and I didn't
use onion.
It was delicious and I
want to make it again soon.
I'm always on the lookout
for vegetable intense recipes
that are good for potlucks.
It seems like we are forever coming
up short on vegetables at the potlucks.
I usually take salads or veggies.
Other people are known for their
specialties. Evelyn makes the best
pies. Several people bring jello stuff,
but I'm not so happy about that.
To me Jello = hospital fare, and
for that matter,
Jello mixed with cottage cheese isn't
something I want to eat either...shudder.
Here's a recipe I tried back
in November...
Yeah, sometimes it does
take that long before a photo
or idea makes it to the blog.
It's a cauliflower salad.
The recipe makes a huge salad
which is perfect for taking to potlucks
or large gatherings or barbecues this summer.
It calls for a whole head of cauliflower.
Trouble was though,
there was only two of us eating it
and at first I thought it was pretty good.
By day six, I was sick and
tired of having cauliflower salad for lunch.
You've been forewarned.
Cauliflower Salad,
(source unknown)
1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 spring scallions, thinly sliced (didn't use)
1 can water chestnuts
1/2 cup cashews, slightly chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen peas (I used frozen)
6 pieces crisp bacon (I used less)
Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Combine dressing ingredients and mix well.
2. Combine salad ingredients, mix in dressing.
3. Chill at least 2 hours.
(After six days, the bacon is soggy.)
Here's a shot of the tables
at the Senior Center
decorated for a potluck.
These photos are from April,
and not just last month, a year ago.
I see that our fabulous pie baker
Evelyn (she's 90 something) wasn't there yet,
because those pies on the table
are definitely not her home made ones.
This month she brought lemon meringue
pies. Her pies are always the first
dessert to disappear off the serving table.
On this particular potluck,
it was my turn to cook the main dish
for 45 (or so) people.
I made pot roast,
and usually make it
once a year for our potluck.
We don't eat beef at home for the most part.
After trimming so many cross rib roasts
it's quite awhile before I'm even tempted
to look at beef again.
See what I mean about a lack of
vegetables? There's a few there,
but not much.
The far end of the table containing desserts
and a few of those Jello salads.
Someone always brings deviled eggs,
and someone else usually brings
whatever that red stuff is...
Applesauce? Why is it red? I have no clue.
I've never touched the stuff.
I'm really picky when it comes to
potlucks. If I don't know who cooked
what ~ I won't touch it. (sorry)
~~~
Last night there was an earthquake
southeast of where we live here in
the north state.
I felt it, but Rick didn't.
Earthquakes aren't the norm here,
unlike other places we have lived.
We're not immune though,
with faults nearby and a couple
of volcanoes within an hour's drive.
One to the north, and the other
to the east of us.
Um, don't want to think about that!
~~~
Today as I type this there is a 20 acre
fire not too far from here.
They've just announced that it has been
contained. This summer we're going
to be very wary of wildfires as we had
the driest winter on record here.
Sometimes it's quite worrisome
living here in the woods.
Take care,
See you soon.


Looks like a very de-lish potluck. Isn't it amazing how everything comes together at a potluck....like as if everyone said "I will bring this and you bring that" when actually no one communicated and it just came together.
ReplyDeleteEarthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, volcanos and wildfires scare me, the thought of losing everything in a moment and running for your life.....I just can't imagine. Hard cold winters with snow and ice does not look so bad.
Be safe.....
Thank you for making me "hungry" :) Those salads look so good.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I hear about those wild fires I send up prayers immediately. It sure would be nice if we could send some of this rain to you all, we are having way too much, we are praying for "no floods", 2008 is still hangs over the city as there are a few houses that are still standing - empty and sad. I heard about that earthquake from my brother Jerry in Grass Valley, he felt it.
Those salads look yummy..I would have left out the pickle relish as well..I think I'll "Pin it" so I'll have it when and if I need it..Enjoy your weekend..
ReplyDelete