Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend



Look what showed up this weekend
to visit the lemon verbena.


I think it's a Variable Checkerspot.
It does look the same as the photo
in my National Audubon Society's
Field Guide to California, so I'm
going to assume that 
Variable Checkerspot is the correct name.


 The first of the day lily blooms 
opened up this weekend.


Echinacea purpurea
 I purchased this last year at Dee's Gardens.
I haven't visited Dee's this season yet.
It's on my 'must do soon' list. 
  

 I froze the zest and juice from these lemons 
and limes.  That way I have the juice on hand
for when I need them.  If I keep them fresh,
they spoil before I can use them.



 I drilled drain holes in one of the chicken 
feeders I mentioned in a previous post.


They're both rusty, and not antiques
so I had no qualms turning one of
them into a planter.



This is my first time trying to grow 
succulents.  They like dry conditions,
so if I don't over~water them they should 
do just fine.



 We'll see.
That one very light green plant
really is that brilliant.
The camera had a hard time adjusting
to it's color.
I'm anxious to see how it grows
and fills in the empty spaces.


I love that it's time to start using 
herbs from the garden.
For lunch Saturday, 
I made an herb pasta using 
oregano, chives, parsley and garlic
chives from the garden.
That brown tomato is one 
of the best store bought tomatoes
I've ever tried.
It's a Kumato brown tomato from
Trader Joe's. If you have a chance
to try a Kumato tomato ~ please do.
Their flavor rivals that of homegrown 
tomatoes which won't be available 
for several more weeks.


For another meal I used my own fresh 
herb butter on store bought corn.
The corn wasn't the greatest,
but the herb butter made it special. 


Every year, 
the harvest from the cherry tree
is larger than the previous year.
I think the tree is about four years old now.
This year I picked enough to make a cherry pie,
and left some cherries on the tree for the birds.
Here it is still warm from the oven.


They cherries that were on the tree 
at noon time, were baked in a buttery 
  flaky crust and served for dessert that evening.


Our weekend included two 
trips to pick up compost/loam soil mix,
and a trip to the dump (woo hoo!) 
honestly just kidding...
the woo hoo part, not the trip to the dump.

I'm being snarky and teasing Rick
who actually said that going to the dump
was what every woman dreams of. 
He was kidding...  
um yeah, ~ I'm sure he was.

He has spent all three days 
of this weekend putting in 
a glass storm door that we 
special ordered a couple weeks ago.
We wanted a brown one, not white, 
thus the wait.

It's been one of those projects
where you find there's a lot more 
work to do than you expected.
It involved tearing out framing,
and redoing trim, adding shims,
and of course repainting the trim,
and waiting for paint to dry
on a damp day.

It's rained off and on all day.
Yeah!

So that was our Memorial Day weekend.
I'll attend Memorial Day services 
on Thursday which actually is Memorial Day.

This week is going to be busy,
so I may not be around for the rest of the week.
Take care and have a terrific week.






5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Kumato tomatos are De-lish!! I can usually get them at Walmart. Those herbs from the garden look good on corn. Cherrie pie looks good and probably tasted good too. When I was a younger, the house we lived in, there was a cherry tree in the back yard. Sorry to say, my mom did not make many pies, the birds sure did love that tree, they got all the cherries they wanted.

    The succulents sure do like nice, are they shade plants?? So how did you freeze the juice of the lemon and limes, in ice trays?? We went to eat at a friends house today, they live on the river...still too chilly to go boating in the pontoon....maybe this Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a busy girl you've been!! All your plants look so beautiful and I love your pots!! Very creative. The only thing we should grow is rice with all the rain we've been having lately and heck, we live in the desert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love succulents. Placing them in that feeder is perfect! Lovely photos as always. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cherry pie looks delish! I also love the chicken feeder turned planter, I adore unique things turned into pots and planters. It looks like you had a rainy weekend too although ours was more dry than wet so that is a good thing, especially while camping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That butterfly is lovely as are all your images! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.