Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Battus philenor



 Say what?
Battus philenor.

Still unclear huh.
Me too.


OK then,
how about 
Pipevine Swallowtail?
Oh yeah, 
of course.

I found a really cool web site that helps
you identify caterpillars.  
It's at  www.discoverlife.org
and here's the link that takes 
you directly to the caterpillar identification page.

You select your answers 
for the body main color,
body main pattern,
distinct features,
and hair density.

Of course my answers
narrowed the types of 
caterpillars down to 175.

Oh my goodness.

From those names I recognized
Pipevine swallowtails
and clicked on the link.
There it was, my caterpillar answer. 




Although this wasn't the 
clearest photo of the caterpillar,
it does show the silk strands tying
the caterpillar to the umbrella fabric.
Back on his tail side, there's 
a patch of silk strands attaching his/her
body to the fabric.
I think it may have thought that this
was a good place to pupate.

Uh, no.
So I moved it with a dry leaf
 to a spot up the hillside.



See that lighter orange protrusion
from around the head area?
I'm sure it's a poison/defense gland
that came out when I got too close.
These caterpillars are poisonous
because of their diet of pipe vine
which grows wild here in the woods.


Here's another link on the Pipevine 
Swallowtails with interesting information
on these caterpillars.


The caterpillars are sort of mean looking
at this stage,
but look what they become.


These last four photos 
were taken last year and the year before.
We were gone this spring when 
the cherry tree was blooming.


 Way cool huh?


Thanks for the comments
about my photography on yesterdays post.
My camera is a Nikon D5000,
and it, along with Mother Nature,
are making me look like
a better photographer than I am.




But thanks for being so kind.
I'm thrilled to share my world with you.


10 comments:

  1. just so beautiful
    great camera....great photographer (:)
    thanks on my chair I
    really like it sitting on the porch..
    grandmas chairs ..it reminds me of the old pressed back chairs that were so popular at one time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty I found Chuck a Nikon 3100 DLSR camera on the AAFES website on sale and I got an additional 10% off and no shipping or tax for $382 and change. I surprised him and he just loves the camera. I had been saving up money to get him one for Fathers Day but gave it to him early. He was looking all over online for the best price and $400 was the best he found. Thank goodness I listened to what model number he wanted so when it came up I could get it. He wants to get another lens to go with it so I need to keep an eye out with a deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget to shop AAFES online. It is where I purchase our Birkenstock sandals at a great price. We rarely get to the base anymore. Travis AFB is three hours away. I'm glad Chuck likes his camera. I hope to see more photos on your blog.

      Delete
  3. That is one scary looking caterpillar (or catapitter as my grandson would say), it's so amazing how nature works and that such a beautiful butterfly is what the caterpillar becomes. Great camera shots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Connie, Thanks. "Cattapitter" ~~~ so sweet! Grandkids are the greatest, and we can show them so much. I hope to give my grandkids fond memories of our adventures together.

      Delete
  4. I was waiting for that caterpillar to become a butterfly..and a beauty indeed..I knew that a swallow tail was a butterfly because I have a rubber stamp of one..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kiss curls (:) LOL
    yes like Betty Boop wore..
    like the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead...
    was so bad she was horrid ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butterflies are beautiful and free. Caterpillers, not so. Thanks for looking up that 'blue bell' flower. I remember when we first moved to our home. Those flowers were in the neighbors yard to our right, as the years passed, they have migrated to our front and back yard....wondering when the neighbors to the left will see these flowers in their yard. It would be nice, if the blue bells attracted more butterflies, but I have not seen that as yet. Have a great day......ps. I like your picture taking....was looking at some of your previous blogs, your boat pictures and sea shore pictures are gorgeous!!! I shall visit you more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful shots Patricia. I always love stopping by to see your nature shots.
    Thanks for the email. I'm doing well.. just keeping busy and I've sort of gotten off the blogging track.
    Posted a catch up today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all the other comments! I don't agree on what you said that,
    "My camera is a Nikon D5000,
    and it, along with Mother Nature,
    are making me look like
    a better photographer than I am" -- I truly believe you have a gift!!!There is a tremendous amount of beauty with Mother Nature but not everyone can "capture" it - you do!

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.