Friday, April 23, 2010

A Good Day,

I love how shiny the oak leaves are when they are brand new. 

I've been weed whacking for 4 days this week.  We have grass growing tall from all of our spring rain.  I finished a huge job this morning, getting the pole barn, paddock and beyond trimmed down. It's a tough job, as our property is mostly all hillside.   There's very little flat area~~~yeah and even less now that I know the top part of the driveway isn't flat~~ just sayin.  By the way, Rick is still laughing to the point of having tears in his eyes. 
Anyway this afternoon, after mowing, I was sitting on the kitchen porch, drinking some  ice water and listening to the sounds of my neighborhood.  Of course there's my neighbor using his weed eater.   But closer to home there's the bird songs.  There's finches at the feeder, and a couple are fighting for their share.  The crows are cawing and carrying freshly mowed down grass up to their nest building site.  Theres a  V-line of honking gueese over head, heading north.  I heard the high pitched chirp of the hummingbird at the bottom of his loop while doing his mating dance.   Way cool.   He or his fellow friends are here every year.  Then there is the neighborhood hawks who are nesting in a tree somewhere up the hill, but close by.  They were out calling to each other as well.     All this in the space of a few minutes.   On the ground, a jack rabbit  was making his/her way up the hill.  Keep going will ya.  You and your friends are fond of eating into the drip irrigation system, even though I have water available for you in the summertime and the springs are still flowing out of the hillsides for you right now.  I have the same  'keep moving' wish for the the four young deer this morning, wandering around down by the pole barn driveway.  Yesterday I carefully weedeated around a volunteer hollyhock down in the paddock.  I wanted to see it bloom.   You guessed it right?   Overnight, the deer ate the hollyhock.  
Take care,
and have a good weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a very peaceful time there sitting and listening to the birds and enJOYing nature. I love doing that myself. We don't have the land you have but what we have I am so thankful for. I "soak" up the time I have with nature - I do believe that is God speaking to me, saying, "EnJOY my child, I did this for you." I give HIM all the credit and I thank HIM, what a wonderful CREATOR we have in Him. He thought of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Anita, Thanks. We are grateful to be here.

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.