Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Garden Sanctuary


My little garden in the woods,


has become a much needed oasis


for lots of little creatures.


Butterflies are frequent visitors


to the zinnias I started from seed.


They're out there from the first


morning light



until the evening light fades.


I keep the birdbath clean and full,
which the birds are loving.


They need the scarce water as much as we do.



We barely water the lawn.
It's just enough to keep trees alive.
  Otherwise it's not much.


I'd much rather have my small little garden  
for all the birds, bees, butterflies, lizards
and me to enjoy.



I planted three packets of zinnia seeds
this spring.  They sure don't put many seeds
in the packets anymore.


But, it's so worth the joy of watching
the bees, hummingbirds, and butterflies
enjoying the blooms.


I can't think of what these are.
They grow from bulbs and have
leaves that look quite a bit like thin
gladiola leaves.


This was the first bloom to open.
Edited to add: They are Crocosmia.  


The little garden 
is at it's best first thing in the morning.
I love being out there to hear the birds
chirping and the hummingbirds zipping around
enjoying little sips of nectar.
In the afternoon, the heat wilts
a few things and it's looks a bit ragged.
But come morning, it's beautiful again.




5 comments:

  1. Love the Zinnias....probably one of my faves. I always plant them along side the house...they are starting to bloom now. Haven't seen many butterflies. Love your pictures though.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photo's. So many butterflies, they must just love your yard. The zinnias are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Crocosmia? or Lucifers something.I tried to grow them several times..They never come back the next year..Love your butterflies..I tried to find some to photograph last year and never had any luck..Your garden is lovely..Have a wonderful weekend..

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.