Friday, December 6, 2013

Japanese Pin Cushion and a ?

My friend Cathy and I
have known each other since
we were both stationed in Misawa, Japan.
We were Red Cross volunteers together
working at the base post office.
We loved our work
 especially around Christmas
when we were extra busy handing out 
holiday packages and sorting Christmas cards
into the post boxes.

Anyway, she asked about this pin cushion
and if I had purchased it in Japan.


The answer is I'm not exactly sure
 where this one came from.

  I might have purchased it in Japan... 
but let me show you something special.


This hand crafted pin cushion was
one of my going away gift from the 
Patrol Wing One's wives group
in July 1984.


Elderly Japanese ladies in a rest 
home hand sewed these for pin money.
It measures three inches tall,
and 7 1/2 inches wide.


Aren't those pig tails darling?


The kimonos ... oh goodness!


I've never used it as a pin cushion.
Unfortunately,
it does have a couple of stains from
being handled over the years.



The nurses who took care of the 
elderly residents hand painted
the faces for the seamstresses.

Cute huh?

Now for the question.
Cathy sent me an email 
asking about a recipe she's lost.
  It's not familiar to me,
but maybe you'll know.

She's looking for a Southwest Chicken 
casserole recipe that includes
chicken (of course)
cheese soup, chili powder and other
ingredients (?).
It also was topped with cornbread twists.
Let me know if you have a similar
recipe.  I know Cathy would be happy
to have the recipe once again.

We are getting snow today !
It's sticking !!
Woo hoo !!!



5 comments:

  1. Really cute pin cushion, would be awfully hard to stick pins in that cushion for sure. That southwest chicken casserole sounds good, maybe just google it in, see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, Cathy said that she has tried several online recipe sites already. It snowed 4 inches last night. I'm waiting for daylight to take photos. I love that the snow is still on the trees. It's quiet and still out there. Beautiful. Liberty loves her first snow.

      Delete
  2. Patty I found the recipe thank heavens! My sister-in-law and son will be happy. It was in an old recipe card book. Now to get the recipe transferred to my main recipe book of recipes I used frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pin cushion is adorable..I wouldn't have used it either..Such sweet little faces..Glad you found the recipe because I'm of no help in that department..Enjoy the snow..

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh that pin cousin brought memories back for me. I don't think I have anything left from my days in Japan but a few pictures...

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you.